account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

XZP camera has serious distortion issue

SOLVED
Enthusiast
Message 131 of 838
Message 131 of 838

Re: XZP camera has serious distortion issue

Speaking of lawyers is nonsense, I'm not in for legal fights. I want to use the product I paid for. End of story. If Sony is not able to manage that properly, I'll either ask for refund or sell the phone - and never buy a Sony product again, just like I didn't touch a single Dell product in 5 years now. I spent ~5.000 $ on Sony products the last 10 years, sure, not that much, but still. It's gonna be the last Sony-$ of my life. Sony should consider the impact of scaring off loyal customers and risking a marketing disaster.

Talent
Message 132 of 838
Message 132 of 838

I used today to take a look at all the 350+ pictures I captured with the XZP so far. (people, buildings, animals and stuff) 

I only found only 2 where faces looked a bit stange, on those if deliberately had the phone titled around 30 degrees to the side. 

It really seems not to be an issue for me so far, still ill follow the discussion but I really can't imagine that there is really such a big problem as some want to see. 

So far I have non of the professional reviewers seem complain about it nor gave Google me anything but this thread and a close related one in another forum. 

And there sure have been a lot XZP been sold already. 

Not to say there is no problem for the people who see one but it does not seem to be a problem for the vast majority of people so far. 

Keeping the discussion open, objective and polite would certainly help everybody. 

Maybe for most people the brain just autocorrects the distortion out who knows? 🤔

IMG_20160709_131156.jpgAbsolutely no distortion whatsoever!

Sony Xperia Developer
Message 133 of 838
Message 133 of 838

Jonyny Illux Patrick2812 feskey

@Jonyny wrote:

1. SONY, at least at this point, has no intention to fix or reduce the distortion issue by update

@Jonyny @IlluX @Patrick2812 @feskey

Our intention is always to bring you the best product experience. These products are new and we continuosly monitor customer feedback and release software updates. You feedback has been escalated, however we can't comment on the content of those updates at this moment.

Sony Xperia Developer
Message 134 of 838
Message 134 of 838

That's a beatiful illustration @Kunicross. At least it shows the difficulty of looking at other's photos and judging the perspective. Slightly smiling Face 

Talent
Message 135 of 838
Message 135 of 838

JensG

Thank you for replying.

So I take your answer as following:

"SONY listens to user feedback but for this particular matter, they don't know if it's fixable or not".

By the way, you previously wrote:

There are ways to minimize the distortion effects when you take a photo. If any of you knows a source with good tips or are up to sharing their personal expertise in this area, please feel free to do so.

If you say so, can you show us YOUR way to minimize the distortion by yourself instead of asking users to share? I don't meant to be rude, but I can't find it by myself.

Adept
Message 136 of 838
Message 136 of 838

Hi JensG,

Does Xperia Z3 compact have the wide FOV lens?

If it does, please refer to this link

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Camera/Any-one-has-camera-distortion-issue/td-p/1218922

Z3c is a lot better than XZs

Highlighted
Adept
Message 137 of 838
Message 137 of 838

I saw some people lost their way when arguing other cellphones have more or less same distortion issue. Come on, issue is not gone no matter if other cellphone have the same problem.

Apple: LG, Sony, Samsung cellphone has same issue, don't blame me

LG: Apple, Sony, Samsung cellphone has same issue, don't blame me

Sony: LG, Apple, Samsung cellphone has same issue, don't blame me

Samsung: LG, Apple, Sony cellphone has same issue, don't blame me

It's an endless cycle.

1. is distrotion acceptable for DSLR camera?

2. is distrotion acceptable for cellphone camera?

3. are we using cameras recording our lifes, our memories?

4. is it acceptable that your memories are full of distrotions but other people say it is OK?

Talent
Message 138 of 838
Message 138 of 838

Bonelol,

I totally agree with you.

What matter is not wether or not other devices have the same level of distortion.

I'm actually surprised that even Sony engineers used this way of "scaling" and concluded that issue is "OK" because other device have about the same level of distortion.

Where is their pride as top-notch camera technology company....

When did they start using other competitors' camera performance as their standard?

Don't they have guts to say "OK, we will be the first one to get rid of issue"?

Apprentice
Message 139 of 838
Message 139 of 838

Will we get shape correction options for the camera?

Will Sony ever implement a "shape correction" options for the camera like that found in Samsung S phones? There were complaint from consumers of the Galaxy S7 series and their engineers quickly responded with a firmware update where the user could toggle the corrections. From what i can see, the distortion problems found in the S7 series that started the complaint from the consumers are quite similar to the distortion found in Sony.  Shout out to the user "feskey" on pointing out a very good example . If SONY engineering team and the admin of the forum does not understand our point then please refer the "shape correction" option found in Samsung S7 series. 

Enthusiast
Message 140 of 838
Message 140 of 838

Re: Will we get shape correction options for the camera?

You are right. Samsung S phones also have the disortion.

They solved it via software-update (released with galaxy s7).

There is a option in camera settings called "Formkorrektur" in german / "shape correction" in englisch which corrects the picture with a algorithm.

Hope Sony is able to implement this.

The problem also exists on Xperia XZ.