account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

XZP camera has serious distortion issue

SOLVED
Enthusiast
Message 121 of 838
Message 121 of 838

Re: XZP camera has serious distortion issue

JensG,

Finally! Thank you for your reply.

Please forgive and correct me if I'm misunderstood what you wrote.

What you wrote is in short:

1. SONY, at least at this point, has no intention to fix or reduce the distortion issue by update

2.  but it may improve in future product

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Developer
Message 122 of 838
Message 122 of 838

@IlluX

@IlluX wrote:

As shown in pictures provided here and on XDA, your competitors do manage that, both Apple and Samsung have a lot less distortion. And even more, when recording a video using SteadyShot with the XZP, there is no distortion at all.

The distortion effect comes out very different in different situation. When comparing photos it's important to have a precise test environment.

Our tests concludes that the amount of lens distortion in the Xperia XZs and the Xperia XZ Premium is approximately the same as recent Sony Mobile products (including the Xperia XZ) as well as competitor products.

The Steady Shot technique is a software filter that as a side effect will crop out the edges. Thanks for highlighting this. Do you think that may explain the difference?

Learner
Message 123 of 838
Message 123 of 838

So, like Jonyny posted, no fix/patch is planned for this issue ? I also have this distortion in my photos and it isnt always directly visible, but if it's visible it just destroys the photo. I have photos of persons with triangular foreheads, like in the first page of this thread.

Seriously, i had the Xperia Z and liked the cell phone and how SONY interacted with the community to that time (unlocking bootloaders) and based on that experience i bought the XZ Premium. After i found out about the distortion Issues and did some research i'm basically speechless of how indifferent SONY got to his customers! Unfortunately i can't swap my Cell Phone with my Phone Carrier anymore...

You want to be competitive again, so start Listening to you community again! I will just drop a link to topic about the RAW Photos, which is also a joke!

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Software-Updates/Camera2-API/td-p/974742/page/100

If this Issue isn´t fixed or recognized by Sony, i will probably swap my cell phone with a one of the last Generation and i swear by god this will then be my last SONY product ever.

Enthusiast
Message 124 of 838
Message 124 of 838

I still, frankly, doubt that the amount of distortion found can be considered okay. Especially in situations where the object is ~1 - 2 meters away, the distortion makes the images almost unusable. That is an issue, an issue I do not have with the S8 for example. It is correct that FOV lenses cause distortion - but the distortion of the XZP is, from my point of view, extreme. I have no idea how Samsung or Apple solve that, but they do. And I bet Sony can do so, too.

Well, the SteadyShot technique could at least serve as starting point to offer a feasible software solution to the issue. Again, lens profiles do work. For my DSLR, I have a TON of different profiles to apply in different situations. This is not exactly "new" technology.

Yes, you might crop the edges, true. But I'd rather have an accurate and detailed photo. If it was me to decide, I'd offer an option, something like "Full FOV - or accurate projection". Especially in macro photography, a wide angle really is not important. Check the pictures in this thread, some of the pictures just make you laugh. You get triangular foreheads, as mentioned above. Wake up! You can't be serious about that. This has gotten to a point where I start considering selling my device and get a Samsung - and I really don't like Samsung! You promised so much with that camera - and now we don't have a proper manual mode, we don't have RAW, we have not even undistorted pictures. Talking of projection quality, my HTC One X is superior to the XZP and that is 6 years old!

Again - 800 $! 

Ask yourself, if you bought a Sony Cybershot - would you accept that? As a photographer, I'd return it straight away and never touch a single Sony product again. You couldn't sell a single shot. Now, this is just a smartphone and you are not doing shootings with it but still - you can do A LOT better. Sony never gets tired of lining out just HOW GOOD you guys are when it comes to photography.

Let me quote Sony, "Cutting edge Sony camera quality"

So cmon, show us that cutting edge quality. Right now and unfortunately, cutting edge ist the least thing I'd call the camera (and especially the software).

Veteran
Message 125 of 838
Message 125 of 838

I had to edit this post as previous comment was not deleted, maybr it was so e network issue, I hope Sony will not be deleting it but rather take our inputs and complains serilusly, study the issue more and apply a solution that will minimize the issue. 

Someone wrote that we can ask Sony the questions dirwcly here. My question is: on a official sites and white papers / instrucions Sony is claiming XZ Premium has anti distortion shutter. So how come we have this issue if you applied this solution? What it does? Seems it is not working at all? 

Meanwhile, contacting Sony service support demanding one of the below:

1. Replacing camera module with the one without abnormal distortion issue, I understand there might be a little defect but current one is just a joke. 

2. Replacing my entire device to check and prove whether the issue still exists for other device. 

3. Asking for full refund = give my money back. 

Otherwise they will speak to my lawyer. 

Thank you Sony for your support. 

Veteran
Message 126 of 838
Message 126 of 838

If Sony mobile developers are not able to fix or minimize the issue maybe they should ask the developers working on a software for Sony professional cameras for help? I do not believe nothing can be done. 

Just thinking out loud. 

Talent
Message 127 of 838
Message 127 of 838

@azzido yes, it can be done by software, see next page,I'm going to talk about it

Talent
Message 128 of 838
Message 128 of 838

@JensG

First ,

thank you finally reply us .

Then, 

From your words I can only guess that the distortion of the results from XZP  it is already the  best  we can get  right ? No plans to update for correct it better,  right? Please answer the question directly would be very appreciate, because I am not a expert  for principles of optical and mechanics,I can not guess from you theory.

last,

If the answer is YES ,Please refer to the following information:

SS start selling  their S7&S7e model in March last year, some users feedback camera with distortion issue to the SS official forum, which is the pincushion distortion just like XZP ,but not bad as XZP  level. And SS developer wrote quick reply which said they will study to  fix the problem ,After three weeks the S7&S7E received a new FW upgrade which come with a new camera options SHAPE CORRECTION. Yes,when you focusing still can see the distortion on screen,but saved photo has been corrected close to perfect. You know what S8 already have this option on the first FW .I am not saying how good the SS phone is, I think everyone here to buy XZP have a reason and faith.To be honest I am losing this faith since the  moderator here to show his "forcing knowledge" and action of this post.

(see  the following picture form S7e)

89b98a7da8bd0c3beeb3bfeff0b63e1a.jpg

WchBopy.jpgBaiduShurufa_2017-6-20_1-18-11.jpgBaiduShurufa_2017-6-20_1-19-6.jpg

ZW7pAHB.jpg

cSXHJGY.jpg

video review link

https://v.qq.com/x/page/r0193n3dssb.html

As we know S7&S7e is used Sony camera components.Do not know  this correction patch is related to Sony develop department or not.But is this can be done for XZP from sony develop department at least !?

@IlluX @Jonyny

Learner
Message 129 of 838
Message 129 of 838

I think need to make new topic in forum and post amazing pictures that are made by premium flagship phone from Sony with amazing camera. Bloopers. Can u imagine taking picture on a go in a city where's alot of moving objects and changing their position. You stop with friends to get a picture "hold on I will do picture with my phone it's sony..." you take a Snap and someone on a picture looks different, and you start trying to find the right angle and position to get things right... Epic stuff as to think of it... 

Talent
Message 130 of 838
Message 130 of 838

It's a matter of sink or swim. I think SONY can handle it.SONY please be quick about it .fixing this issue is as easy as ABC.Do your best ...there's no room for error . I wish the best for you.