account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

XZP camera has serious distortion issue

SOLVED
Message 111 of 838
Message 111 of 838

Re: XZP camera has serious distortion issue

@Kunicross wrote:

DSC_0244.JPG

DSC_0243.JPG

One at 19 and one at 17 MP I can't tell if there is a distortion or not. 

For me it seems there are 2 kinds of people here:

1st: "horrible distortion I can't belive that this happend we need to call the press." 

2nd: "I can't see anything" 

For me it look like neither one is a professional photographer or expert on camera physics just for that reason a statement from Sony would be nice because I imagine they have some experts of that kind working there which can with a single look at any picture here say if there is anything going on and propably exactly what's going on as well. 

I'll write to the Sony support since reaction time on this board by Sony itself seems to be rather bad. 

Yes there distortion. It's the same distortion found on most wide angle lenses tbh.

I've spent the weekend not only being berated on here by paranoid people who think evil Sony want to cover up something that is part of a lens correction process, but also checking masses of other phones, specifically for these wavy patterns. 

XZ Premium 

XZS

XZ

X

Z5

LG G3

LG G6!

Sony LT24

Sony LT30

And even the iPhone 7+ has this to a degree.

It's how phone cameras fix the fact they have these lenses so close to the sensor, the barrel distortion would be immense if not for this correction.

And it's not even related to the posts in op, with stretched areas, I thought it was common knowledge that wide angle lenses stretch objects that are nearer to the sides? No?

Oh well it is, you can check with ANY optical expert and they'll tell you.

But anyway, you can carry on taking pictures of boxes,  or you can even go dig our your old phones and take pictures of keyboards to check I'm not lying.

Either way, I'm just going to take pictures of normal stuff and not let the fact I can't take pictures of a square perfectly.20170618_190734_HDR.jpg

See, no issue.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Talent
Message 112 of 838
Message 112 of 838

At last someone tried it out far enough I just was too lazy to get out all my old devices to check for something I can't barly see either way. 

As I wrote previously I think the effect could be a bit more pronounced on the XZP due to slightly shorter vocal length but it seems like it's a think you can really talk people into seeing and seeing more than is actually to see as well. 

Enthusiast
Message 113 of 838
Message 113 of 838

Sorry Viridis, but no.

First: There is distortion in your picture, find it enclosed. But it is not barrel distortion as you'd expect in wide-angle lenses, it's pincushion distortion. Pincushion is commonly caused by over-correcting lens profiles or a defective lens. Physics, pincushion is just not supposed to happen, not in wide-angle lenses.

Please also check my analysis on this 

https://forum.xda-developers.com/xz-premium/help/distortion-issue-scientific-approach-t3622966

Take a video and turn on SteadyShot, distortion is gone. Don't tell me Sony can't do this right - they can, they just fail atm.

Now, don't tell us this is normal. Please. I know a little something about this stuff.

lol.jpg

Message 114 of 838
Message 114 of 838

@IlluX wrote:

Sorry Viridis, but no.

First: There is distortion in your picture, find it enclosed. But it is not barrel distortion as you'd expect in wide-angle lenses, it's pincushion distortion. Pincushion is commonly caused by over-correcting lens profiles or a defective lens. Physics, pincushion is just not supposed to happen, not in wide-angle lenses.

Please also check my analysis on this 

https://forum.xda-developers.com/xz-premium/help/distortion-issue-scientific-approach-t3622966

Take a video and turn on SteadyShot, distortion is gone. Don't tell me Sony can't do this right - they can, they just fail atm.

Now, don't tell us this is normal. Please. I know a little something about this stuff.

lol.jpg

Thanks.

That's an LG G6 Picture.

Are we done with this now?

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.

Message 115 of 838
Message 115 of 838

They all have pincushion, every single wide angle camera phone. If they didn't, the barrel distortion would be a joke.

Go on, analyse older wide angle cameras 

I'll start..

LG G3 20170617_182646.jpg

Some Samsung perhaps?Screenshot_20170619-102751.png

How about a Z5?20170618_141310.jpg

Enthusiast
Message 116 of 838
Message 116 of 838

Nop, we are not. If you checked my link I posted you'd find that we have an extreme pincushion distortion in Sony XZP images - but only when not shooting videos. It doesn't change the fact that there is an issue that should not be there. If this is an LG G6 picture, fine, they have an equal issue. Doesn't change anything.

I have tested 4 smartphones, LG G2, G4, HTC One X, Sony Xperia Z3 C, Sony Xperia XZP.

Especially older phones such as the G2 have problems with barrel distortion (As you'd expect - remember?)

Exactly one has pincushion distortion - the XZP.

If your explanation was right, we'd find barrel distortion and we'd find the same effect when shooting videos, this is a matter of physics. But we don't. We find pincushion in photos.

So no, we are not done with this unless Sony changed the laws of nature.

Enthusiast
Message 117 of 838
Message 117 of 838

LG G4 - slight barrel distortion, but barely noticable. 

No idea why we should still accept distortion in 2017. Too easy to correct. And it still doesn't explain how exactly you end up with pincushion distortion.

"Barrel distortion may be found in wide-angle lenses, and is often seen at the wide-angle end of zoom lenses, while pincushion distortion is often seen in older or low-end telephoto lenses"

Get what I'm saying? It doesn't make sense.

lgg4.jpg

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Developer
Message 118 of 838
Message 118 of 838

Sorry for not responding to your concerns earlier. We take this kind of feedback very seriously and this post actually resulted in an extensive camera test performed by our camera engineers. There is a lot of technical details surrounding this subject, please feel free to ask questions in this thread and we will try to answer them.

In summary a wide field of view (FOV) lens tends to have stronger distortion compared to a narrow FOV lens and in many cases (including example photos posted in this tread) distortion is to be expected. Phone cameras uses wide FOV lens to allow both landscape views and close-up shots in the same compact lens package.

Our tests concludes that the amount of lens distortion in the Xperia XZs and the Xperia XZ Premium is approximately the same as recent Sony Mobile products (including the Xperia XZ) as well as competitor products. Photo quality is an area that Sony continuously improves and we will take all feedback in this thread to heart and continue to look for ways to help make your images better.

Getting to know your new camera better is well worth the effort. There are ways to minimize the distortion effects when you take a photo. If any of you knows a source with good tips or are up to sharing their personal expertise in this area, please feel free to do so.

Enthusiast
Message 119 of 838
Message 119 of 838

viridis

Lol, omg, you are working so hard to cooling down the issue.

Yes, other devices do have distortion issue as well. We all know that.

But you need to realize proving so doesn't make things better.

(this is especially important since you are "modelator")

Whether this distortion is due to faulty camera or within the scope of the specification,  it's a matter of how users perceive it.

If you think this is acceptable level of distortion, that's fine.  I respect your perception.

But one undeniable truth is many users here think this is "abnormal".

So please stop trying to convice us that "it's not big deal because other device have it too" .

I think we can all agree to 2 things:

- SONY, not moderator should officially participate this thread and explain how they see this issue.

- And the fact that Sony has not replied to the longest thread in this XZP section while they reply to other threads promptly IS NOT ACCEPTABLE

viridis, can you agree with this?

Enthusiast
Message 120 of 838
Message 120 of 838

JensG, 

I do understand the effect of FOV lenses, what I do not understand is why, in a camera module advanced as this, you can't apply different lens profiles to correct the effect. As shown in pictures provided here and on XDA, your competitors do manage that, both Apple and Samsung have a lot less distortion. And even more, when recording a video using SteadyShot with the XZP, there is no distortion at all.

So why not apply different profile sets as it is perfectly normal in all sorts of cameras. I mean, you produce the majority of all sensors in the world. I bet there is a few guys around who can set this straight, at least thats what I hope. If I was you, I'd worry about the camera quality. So far, the XZP, though having the most advanced sensor, lost in all(!) comparisons against the G6 and the S8. You promised us to offer the most advanced technical solutions, not a "just as mediocre" average. 

So far, as amazing as this phone is, the camera and the software is far from others offer. Very very far. And puncishion distortion that influences both the sharpness and the level of details in pictures really doesn't serve the issue.

So please, don't tell us that is the best you can come up with.