account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

XZP camera has serious distortion issue

SOLVED
Veteran
Message 101 of 838
Message 101 of 838

Re: XZP camera has serious distortion issue

Thnks Slightly smiling Face 

It is not curved, I do not like curved TVs. Yes, it was quite expensive but fits well gaming and movies at 4K Slightly smiling Face 

This is Sony Bravia KD-65X9005B model from 2014. 

65 inches does the job + superior sound. I want to buy Xbox One X when it arrives (it has Ultra blue ray player that ps4 pro failed to deliver and Forza). 

Back to the topic I really wish Sony is working on the software fixes for distortion, they should already communicate it because that would calm us down. 

Veteran
Message 102 of 838
Message 102 of 838

Feskey I did not get your irony at first, now I have curved TV Slightly smiling Face 

Instead of deleting the threada and hiding the head into sand Sony should immediately fix it, otherwise they will have a lot of returns, warrany supports and the bad press will spread. 

Unfortunately their communication is very bad, they should already provide official statement to the customers, bur no, they prefer silence. Anyone has a twitter to Sony Mobile ceo? 

Talent
Message 103 of 838
Message 103 of 838

As far as I read the Xperia XZ has a slightly lower vocal length (24 mm) compared to other smartphones (25 mm) 

It sounds to me that this could be the whole issue, anyone an idea? 

Talent
Message 104 of 838
Message 104 of 838

WOW, XZP can make your flat TV change to curved TV,  you have earn a big one!

"sony make believe "

Learner
Message 105 of 838
Message 105 of 838

Xperia xzp UK

distorted.jpg

Talent
Message 106 of 838
Message 106 of 838

A little progress here

(I don't know this is  progress for camera mode or not,but I think it's helpful to understand  ,there really is a serious distortion)

On camera video mode (FHD60fps,FHD 30FPS ,HD),the distortion will disappear only when you switch SteadyShot on. turn it off the distortion will be appear obviously. As we know electronic stabilization need "sacrifice" some pixels to processing stabilization data,This is why switch SteadyShot on will cause the composition  different. But I compared the video pixel and clarity between on and off,the difference is not particularly noticeable.So I guess there really have a good one distortion correction parameter for 1080P and 720P Pixels proportion, like a professional camera have for different lens which you can free to switch on and off, even adjust the distortion correction level.

On 4k video mode still have distortion no matter you turn on or off the SteadyShot. I think cause  4K mode using full pixel sampling  and then compressed merge pixels,recorded all the distortion just like the camera mode use full pixels.

So is there a good distortion correction parameter for full pixels shooting ?

or already have one but not working like 1080P and 720P?

or the  full pixels correction it is already the best we can get ?

Who can explain it for us?

webwxgetmsgimg_resize.jpg

webwxgetmsgimg (1)_resize.jpgwebwxgetmsgimg (2)_resize.jpgwebwxgetmsgimg (3)_resize.jpg

And when you video shoot three-dimensional objects turn off SteadyShot move angles around , you will see the distortion make perspective increase serious bad.

Try turn it on , it's much much better just like a normal camera  does ,still a little bit of deformation but that is totally in acceptable range.

Try video the person you familiar with , easily move around shoot by different angles and distances,you will not see the SUPER body parts distortion which in the camera mode.

Learner
Message 107 of 838
Message 107 of 838

Dear sony staff,

the most sad about this, is not the problem it self with the distortion, but the treatment of the problem from Sony, because you not even bother to answer about the distortion issue of the camera, none of the Employee answer to thousand of customers bought already this phone.

not even a reply that "we will look on this matter"....

not even an announcment to the local store around the world....

so sad, so sad.

You even deleted the thread about the distortion post in first place so you dont get humiliated?

we will return this phone back and will ask for our money to be refunded.

it was a bad choice that i pick Xzp instead of S8 edge....

Emperor
Message 108 of 838
Message 108 of 838

@ZAFMAN

You should double check your facts because the thread was NOT deleted, what do you think this thread is? 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 109 of 838
Message 109 of 838

Please everyone contact your local support and inform them of this issue.

UK support didnt even know anything about it until i raised it with them. The more people complaining the better result we will get.

Talent
Message 110 of 838
Message 110 of 838

DSC_0244.JPG

DSC_0243.JPG

One at 19 and one at 17 MP I can't tell if there is a distortion or not. 

For me it seems there are 2 kinds of people here:

1st: "horrible distortion I can't belive that this happend we need to call the press." 

2nd: "I can't see anything" 

For me it look like neither one is a professional photographer or expert on camera physics just for that reason a statement from Sony would be nice because I imagine they have some experts of that kind working there which can with a single look at any picture here say if there is anything going on and propably exactly what's going on as well. 

I'll write to the Sony support since reaction time on this board by Sony itself seems to be rather bad.