account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

XZP camera has serious distortion issue

SOLVED
Enthusiast
Message 70 of 838
Message 70 of 838

Re: Fatal problem-Photo distortion

You couldn't make it up. Elementary fundamental errors on a flagship.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 71 of 838
Message 71 of 838

@Nadfink wrote:

@jackedoff wrote:

@Nadfink wrote:

Thought I'd best add myself to the list of those affected by this issue. UK user here, XZP was delivered yesterday and noticed the distortion issue immediately. Really disappointing to see this.

On my way to get a replacement as I type. Will see if the next handset has the same issue. I think Sony need to formally acknowledge this apparent defect. 

Good luck with that 1 don't mean the new handset mean the acknowledgement.

I returned it to Carphone Warehouse who immediately acknowledged the fault, as they also did when I returned the replacement. It wasn't particularly difficult to demonstrate the fault when showing them photos of warped keyboards and demonstrating this in the store. They confirmed that they'd had a few other returns for the same reason. 

I've now had a full refund,  cancelled the contract and reverted back to my Z3. Shame really because I quite liked the phone but I'm not prepared to have to edit my pics to remove the distortion,  so for me it's an unforgivable defect. 

Which contract did you initially take out btw?

I am with Vodafone and they dont have a cooling period. Is possible you can help me with what pictures you used to prove to CPW that the phone is faulty? I might do the same.

Cheers.

Regular
Message 72 of 838
Message 72 of 838

I bought the handset through Carphone Warehouse on an EE contract. Worth noting that I ordered online, meaning the returns policy is more favourable than it would have been if I'd bought in store. If you ordered online, I would have thought you'd be entitled to a cooling off period also?

I'm afraid I can't help you with the pics as I lost those when I reset to factory default settings on returning it. It should be quite easy to demonstrate though - take some pictures of keyboards whilst you're in a Vodafone store! If they won't let you cancel then they should at least offer a replacement? 

Adviser
Message 73 of 838
Message 73 of 838

Has Sony come out and responded to this in anyway?

Commissioner
Message 74 of 838
Message 74 of 838

Re: XZP camera has serious distortion issue

Sorry Viridis, but you are really serious?

Following your words, one will buy the device, take photos objectively distorted and then edit every shots? If I buy a flagship, I pretend it take corrected photos! I don't pretend perfect in all, but for the price is absurd it returns distorted ones!

As a user posted, the part of the body are elongated and squared lines distorted; this is unaceptable for a flagship for me.

Enthusiast
Message 75 of 838
Message 75 of 838

How do these pictures look. I really cant tell Slightly smiling Face

DSC_0886.jpgDSC_0924.jpgDSC_0925.jpgDSC_0926.jpgDSC_0911.jpg

Talent
Message 76 of 838
Message 76 of 838

flagship model Compare,

align the left and bottom as parallel as possible then align the top and right ,the best result can get

f1.jpgf2.jpg

f3.jpg

Talent
Message 77 of 838
Message 77 of 838

@Viridis

The only way  let the distortion look  not obviously,That is make the object super far from the camera, it is best on the river or an empty road by 45 degree angle shooting. Very smart !

so you  never take close shot ,never take daily life photo,never ,take a portrait photo !?

Very smart?!

Talent
Message 78 of 838
Message 78 of 838

Re: XZP camera has serious distortion issue

@Alessio_84

totally agree with you

Message 79 of 838
Message 79 of 838

@feskey wrote:
@Viridis

The only way  let the distortion look  not obviously,That is make the object super far from the camera, it is best on the river or an empty road by 45 degree angle shooting. Very smart !

so you  never take close shot ,never take daily life photo,never ,take a portrait photo !?

Very smart?!

Well yes I do take portraits and close up photos, but I take them with the lens as parallel as possible to avoid perspective distortion.

Like this..DSC_0277-01.jpeg

Though I could also take it at an angle and adjust camera so lens is at a different perspective, forcing the nearer side of the object to be enlarged, like this.DSC_0278-01-01.jpeg

But no, I must admit I don't take many pictures of keyboards or lines.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.