account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

XZ premium is not waterproof!!!

Enthusiast
Message 11 of 21
Message 11 of 21

Re: XZ premium is not waterproof!!!

Actually XZP is waterproof, and that video prove it. If waterproofing fails device almost certainly shut down. That weird behavior is caused by display panel, which isn't work correctly under water. Panel interpret water multiple touches, and makes phone acting weird. Same phenomenon can be seen under  torrential rain, and panel is useless.

It is good to remember that on possible emergency situation, if you have dripping wet or hands is may impossible to call help for this reason.

Message 12 of 21
Message 12 of 21

I just dropped my phone in the toilet (gross I know) and promptly rinsed it off. I was very happy because this phone is waterproof right...nope, my phone has failed and non functional. To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement.

Talent
Message 13 of 21
Message 13 of 21

when I put it in the pool I put this cover that covers usb and jack 3.5 ports.

Talent
Message 14 of 21
Message 14 of 21

Translation via Google translate:

Sony Xperia XZ Premium case, Ringke [FUSION] Transparent lens on the back of the PC and against the TPU [Fall protection technology] Protective case with enhanced armor - Smoke Black Smoke Black

Funda Sony Xperia XZ Premium, Ringke [FUSION] Cristalino transparente al dorso del PC y frente al TPU [Tecnologia para proteccion a la caida] Carcasa protectiva con armadura mejorada - Humo Negro Smoke Black

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B072Q3662B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_NPAyAb3HSDVQ6

Talent
Message 15 of 21
Message 15 of 21

51DtzOoTD1L._SY400_.jpg

Talent
Message 16 of 21
Message 16 of 21

Sony have never said that the XZ premium is waterproof, they have said it is water resistant however and there is a massive difference between them both. Anyone silly enough to submerge a £640 flagship phone in water for a length of time is just asking for trouble.

Also the phone needs to be dried out before recharging such as the headphone jack and more importantly the powered usb port (use a hair dryer on low heat)

I come from the PC OVERCLOCKING world (won two overclocking titles UK champion 2006 and 2010) where high performance water cooling is as standard. If water gets on a motherboard (we use distilled so it does not carry a charge unless it's been in a loop for a few months) but even then anything with water that touches the motherboard we take out of the case use a hair dryer to dry off the surface and then leave it in cupboard (where the boiler) is overnight (to allow for all the motherboard LAYERS  to dry out) then we clean the board with Icypropyl alcohol. This works around 80% of the time So if we do that with computers that cost up to £3000 that have triple loop water cooling installed then something that is even MORE exposed to water like a phone will need the same treatment. I think Sony have pulled a miracle of making them water resistant as is and they did it before anyone else may I addSlightly smiling Face337218_10150292275267795_341807016_o.jpg10623399_10152434757907795_5027277163993317339_o.jpg

Talent
Message 17 of 21
Message 17 of 21

hey buddy:0 is there a link on amazon or fleabay uk where i can get those gell-like cases please?

Visitor
Message 18 of 21
Message 18 of 21

IP68 means it can be submerged in water up to 1 meter Which is 3 feet. If it can't do that then they need to take the IP rating off! And make it IP67. Seriously with Sony selling this phone with video and pictures of ppl taking pictures under water in a chlorine saimming pool and selling it as IP68 someone could seriously sue ssue sony for false advertising and a whole bunch of other stuff. It's not the customers fault there phone broke under water. It's sony.! They encouraged it and gave the idea with there selling commercial. Also if it can't be under water up to 3 feet it's not Truly IP68. It's literally all on Sony. Also why say it's a 4k display. But they downscale it to less than 1920x1080? Even watching YouTube videos in 4k is not 4k because the OS resolution setting is 1080p. Again another example of sonys lies and hype to sell a phone that can't do anything they claim. Someone that has the money for a lawyer sue Sony!

Maybe Sony will think twice about lying.

Message 19 of 21
Message 19 of 21

@SeerKing wrote:

IP68 means it can be submerged in water up to 1 meter Which is 3 feet. If it can't do that then they need to take the IP rating off! And make it IP67. Seriously with Sony selling this phone with video and pictures of ppl taking pictures under water in a chlorine saimming pool and selling it as IP68 someone could seriously sue ssue sony for false advertising and a whole bunch of other stuff.

can you post an example of such advert for the XZ Premium?

Also why say it's a 4k display. But they downscale it to less than 1920x1080? Even watching YouTube videos in 4k is not 4k because the OS resolution setting is 1080p. 

that's not true. in some supported apps (Sony Album, Netflix, Amazon Video and yes, YouTube), the display renders content in 4K. also please keep in mind that, to my knowledge, this is the way Google encourages OEMs to handle 4K resolution on Android phones.

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 20 of 21
Message 20 of 21

Me too. XZ Premium IS NOT WATERPROOF.