account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mobile World Congress 2019

Sonys Press conference from MWC took place end of February
If you missed it you can watch it here.
Please join the discussion here and share your thoughts on what was anounced here. MWC 2019 discussion.

XZ Premium owners - Your initial impression

Message 71 of 187
Message 71 of 187

Re: XZ Premium owners - Your initial impression

The camera is relative. I think it does just fine for a cell phone camera. I am not a professional photographer like so many in this day and age.

Remember that in order to be able to squirt water on the face of the phone and not destroy it that the speaker grills MUST  be of a material that is thicker/denser/water resistant which will certainly make them sound quieter. Now if you dare, go ahead and rip out the black material covering the speakers and I am willing to bet that they will be much louder and clearer while losing their ability to repel water. I have two other phones in my house with stereo front facing speakers and they are both louder, but neither of them are covered by a water repelant material. Simple! Now maybe Sony can boost the signal strength to the speakers thereby making them louder, but will this also cause them to distort? Maybe they are as loud as they can be while remaining water repelent? 

Disable Swiftkey and use Textra. You will not be sorry!

I bought mine from the UK while living in the US so the charger I received does not even work here at all. I just use one of the many I have laying around and it works just fine. Otherwise I cannot comment on that.

As for Stamina mode...do you have it turned on all the time, or do you have it set to turn on when the battery hits 15%? Just do not use it all the time and it will be fine.

One time poster
Message 72 of 187
Message 72 of 187

• Yes, thru Sony website

• Germany

• Xiaomi Redmi 1S
  • Long battery life for my use case. I don't have to worry if I didn't bring my powerbank. The camera have the lens distortion, other than that the camera is perfect. Screen is a little big, considering coming from a small phone. Quick and stable updates (until now). If only the lens distortion can be fixed through update, it will be 100% perfect phone for me.
  • Yes

Inhabitant
Message 73 of 187
Message 73 of 187

@Stanley The camera is very poor, in comparison to the U11 and S7 it doesn't focus well, it's clearly distorted and low light is pretty bad. Good up close though. 

I'm not overly fussed by the loudspeakers, not really using it as a boom box but very happy with headphone audio. I get what your saying but. 

For a flagship, I would have thought including the best charger would have been a key point but whatever. I'm a bit sus on quick charge anyway when it comes to battery life. In all my time repairing devices I, very never known Sony to have crap batteries though. Rarely had jobs to change them. 

Only have Stamina mode on at 20% but I think I'll only use it manually now, Samsung LP modes are much nicer than this. It feels like everything operating at 5fps. Not a major gripe I suppose but still. Maybe it's just the 835 firmware LP modes. 

Will look into Textra.

Btw network reception hasn't been very kind to me. I got a new SIM with it too to replace my old cut one just in case that had an effect. Not terrible though I would say average. 

One time poster
Message 74 of 187
Message 74 of 187

1. Did you pre-order your Xperia XZ Premium? NO

2. In what country do you live? United STATES

3. What was your previous phone? Xperia XA
  4. What do you like most about your new phone? 4k and aesthetics, but as it has been mentioned... bring back double tap to sleep/wake... and capability to increase vibration!
  5. Occasionally we contact end-users for the purpose of product development. Would this be of interest to you? Yes! 
Message 75 of 187
Message 75 of 187

Overall the phone is great, but it had some serious issues also, but first:

1. Did you pre-order your Xperia XZ Premium? NO

2. In what country do you live? NETHERLANDS

3. What was your previous phone? IPHONE 6S PLUS & SAMSUNG GALAXY S6 EDGE
  4. What do you like most about your new phone? DESIGN OF BOTH SOFTWARE AND HARDWARE (EVEN IF DATED)
  5. Occasionally we contact end-users for the purpose of product development. Would this be of interest to you? YES

MAJOR PROBLEMS DEFAULT 7.1.1:

1. Invoking the camera via the Snap Button restarts the phone.

2. Video playback from either YouTube or Netflix flaky at best, also keeps going into pause a couple of minutes into playback over wired headphones (perhaps hardware issue)

3. Poor Communication Connection: low bars compared to even side-by-side testing - 2 bars compared to five on iPhone and Gal S6 edge, poor WiFi - keeps dropping connection (only on this device, even with default battery mode), extremely weak NFC communication, I can no longer pay using ANY wallet apps - Vodafone, Google, etc. (This was never an issue on my S6, I even stopped needing my wallet until I got this phone)

4. Speaker Audio Level, sounds good but is soft compared to any phone I've owned.

5. Camera is much like my iPhone 6s Plus, AND that's not a compliment.

6. Limited Sony support for a flagship: I can't even find Themes made by Sony exclusively for the XZ-Prem. Some third-party options but I don't want other launchers.

7. The phone randomly restarts without notice.

Please don't recommend a full reset without considering other options 😀 I setup the phone as new... Thanks all!

One time poster
Message 76 of 187
Message 76 of 187

No, I bought it the first day it arrived to the shop

Sweden

Xperia Z3

It is fast and have a big screen

Yes it would

/Kurtan

Adviser
Message 77 of 187
Message 77 of 187

hi didnt pre order

i live in israel

i had zenfone 2

i like hes looks, hes speed, i dont realy like the camera, my wife have s7 and alot of pic from her phone looks better, i thought sony have the best camera in the world, i didnt notice to the distortion, but i dont like the focus sometimes he dont locked good, the yellow square is going crazy from sec to sec he gets bigger then smaller he dont locked good at all, i think the s7 camera is more sharp and the colors more beautiful. but i did like the video and the 4k video, i didnt like the quality of the 960fps video.

except the camera, the phone is realy great, but the one problem is that the camera is why i bought the phone cause i thought from readers that is better then the s8 but now i dont c it.

One time poster
Message 78 of 187
Message 78 of 187

1. Did you pre-order your Xperia XZ Premium? - I already got mines. The black one looks really nice.

2. In what country do you live? - UK

3. What was your previous phone? - iPhone SE
  4. What do you like most about your new phone? - Screen, Music, 4K, SuperSlowMo
  5. Occasionally we contact end-users for the purpose of product development. Would this be of interest to you? - Yes

Apprentice
Message 79 of 187
Message 79 of 187

Also, why no longer the display "time remaining until charged" on the XZ Premium?  This display is on the Samsung Galazy S8;  Both phones are using Android 7.1 or 7.1.1.  My Z3v had this feature and it was on Android 5.1 

Message 80 of 187
Message 80 of 187

I've just joined the XZ Premium crowd Slightly smiling Face

1. no, I didn't preorder it

2. I live in Poland

3. I moved from Xperia X

4. I enjoy the spec bump and the performance boost, this thing flies. I'm also quite excited to test the Super Slow Motion thing more. what's going to probably take some getting used to is the size, as it's the biggest smartphone I've ever owned (and moving from Z3 compact to X was already quite an experience!)

5. I'm absolutely on board. I used to participate in Sony's Concept initiative for Z3 compact and X and enjoyed it immensely. I'm always up for surveys, testing new features and other stuff like that.