account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

XZ Premium light sensor and screen behaviour

SOLVED
Adviser
Message 1 of 4
Message 1 of 4

XZ Premium light sensor and screen behaviour

Noticed yet another weird behaviour with my XZP... When I'm outdoors, under bright light conditions, then I noticed that when I put my thumb over the light sensor, then the screen colours change and become a bit darker. Note that the adaptive brightness is OFF, and I even tried it when the brightness slider was visible to make sure it doesn't slide automatically. Soooo.... Yeah... For whatever reason, when I cover the sensor with my thumb, then the colours become slightly darker, and it feels like the phone still tries to adjust to the light. When I remove my thumb, then the colours become slightly more vivid. It's hard to notice otherwise, but if you pay the attention then you can see it. It almost feels like it is the colours that adjust and not the brightness itself... Note that this doesn't happen when I am indoors, even during the daytime while in my room.

Is this part of Sony's tech, maybe to preserve battery life? Is the phone manually still overrides Android's settings and does it's own adjustments? Whoever has the XZp, try turning off adaptive brightness adjustment (if you have it on usually), go under a bright light, for example under a direct sunlight outside, and try it... Just wondering if it is just my phone or is it every phone...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

Re: XZ Premium light sensor and screen behaviour

it's a feature called Assertive Display https://www.qualcomm.com/news/onq/2015/02/20/assertive-display-power-efficient-technology-thats-easy...

it changes the display's contrast so that it's more readable in direct sunlight.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

it's a feature called Assertive Display https://www.qualcomm.com/news/onq/2015/02/20/assertive-display-power-efficient-technology-thats-easy...

it changes the display's contrast so that it's more readable in direct sunlight.

Adviser
Message 3 of 4
Message 3 of 4

Thank you so much for this information Slightly smiling Face I did not know that! That's pretty cool. Hopefully it will teach other people about this.

One time poster
Message 4 of 4
Message 4 of 4

Hey incredible. it's exactly the same thing for my xz premium