account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

XPeria XZ Premium is not asking for Network Unlock Code with new SIM card

Learner
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

XPeria XZ Premium is not asking for Network Unlock Code with new SIM card

Hi everyone,
Hoping someone can help.
I was previously with one network provider (Optus), but recently switched to another provider (Telstra).

The phone is currently still locked to Optus. I have received the Network Unlock Code from Optus and they have said that the phone should ask for the code when you turn the phone on with the new SIM card from Telstra inserted. I have tried this (and tried restarting it many times with the new SIM card inserted) and unfortunately the phone is not asking me for the code.

Is there anywhere else that I can enter this code?

At the moment I can use the phone as normal (WiFi and apps etc are working), just with no 4G due to it being locked to the old network. 
Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

Re: XPeria XZ Premium is not asking for Network Unlock Code with new SIM card

Maybe first it has to be unlocked from the old network. I found this link:

https://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/how-to-unlock-your-mobile-device-from-the-optus-network...

Learner
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for that. I followed the link and tried it out, but it only gives the unlock code, which I already have from the provider.

Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

@snakebite729 wrote:

Hi everyone,
Hoping someone can help.
I was previously with one network provider (Optus), but recently switched to another provider (Telstra).

The phone is currently still locked to Optus. I have received the Network Unlock Code from Optus and they have said that the phone should ask for the code when you turn the phone on with the new SIM card from Telstra inserted. I have tried this (and tried restarting it many times with the new SIM card inserted) and unfortunately the phone is not asking me for the code.

Is there anywhere else that I can enter this code?

At the moment I can use the phone as normal (WiFi and apps etc are working), just with no 4G due to it being locked to the old network. 
Thanks in advance.

Did u check network unlock counter?

How to check SONY Xperia XZ Premium code counter:

1. Turn on the phone without sim card
2. Type *#*#7378423#*#*
3. Select Service info
4. Select SimLock
5. Check where is X
6. If X is on NETWORK, SUBSET or PROVIDER and value is more than 0, you can unlock your phone.
7. If it is 0 unlock by code is NOT possible. The counter is blocked.

If the code counter shows all 0 it cannot be unlocked, because there are no tries left to unlock it.

Also try some other sim card type too. it is supposed to ask for the unlock code normally.

Learner
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

Screenshot_20190402-100903.pngHere is the result. Why would they all be 0 if I have never attempted to unlock previously? It says 5 Max Attempts, but I have not attmepted. I just inserted the SIM card and turned the phone on, and have never been asked for the code. I can still make and receive phone calls, SMS etc over the network, but can only access the internet using WiFi, there is no 4G. 

Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

@snakebite729 wrote:

Screenshot_20190402-100903.pngHere is the result. Why would they all be 0 if I have never attempted to unlock previously? It says 5 Max Attempts, but I have not attmepted. I just inserted the SIM card and turned the phone on, and have never been asked for the code. I can still make and receive phone calls, SMS etc over the network, but can only access the internet using WiFi, there is no 4G. 

Oh so u can make calls and SMS .. .. then why asking network unlock code? It's already unlocked... Thats why unlock counter show zero.. if it's locked it would have shown the unlock count  number.it shows zero if it's unlocked device.

For 4G u might need a 4G enabled SIM ,contact network operator for how to get 4G. Also u have to set preferred network type to LTE in mobile network settings.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

Hi @snakebite729,

I can see that you have already received some great help from @mahesh911, thanks for that!

As mentioned, your device is not locked to an operator, as shown in the service menu.

First of all, make sure that you have set the preferred network to LTE/4G in the device. You can double check this is in Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile networks > Advanced > Preferred network type > tap on it and choose the type that you want to use.

Once you have set it to 4G (preferred)/3G/2G(GSM), go back to Settings > Network & Internet > Internet settings > accept and wait for them to be downloaded and installed (you will receive a notification). Now you may need to restart the device for the settings to work, but you can also just try turning Wi-Fi off and see if you have a 4G connection before restarting.

Let us know how it goes! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

It works now! Thanks everyone! Very much appreciate all of your help.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

Hi again @snakebite729 and I'm really glad to hear that and thank you so much for getting back to us and confirming this! Slightly smiling Face

Time to enjoy your new operator and have a fantastic Thursday!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.