account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Will Xperia XZ Premium support Project Treble?

Adept
Message 11 of 29
Message 11 of 29

XZ Premium Oreo and Project Treble

Hi Sony,

Please integrate Project Treble with XZ Premium devices Slightly frowning Face

sketch-1508770620133.pngIt say's we got Project Treble

Screenshot_20171023-230142.png

Your promotional video says that the device will get Project Treble. But it seems we doesn't.

In other hand, please integrate Camera2 API also Slightly frowning Face

Inhabitant
Message 12 of 29
Message 12 of 29

Re: XZ Premium Oreo and Project Treble

Learner
Message 13 of 29
Message 13 of 29

Is there a chance of getting Treble in the future?

Sony must have Treble for phones running Oreo out of the box, like the Xz1 and Xz1 compact. With the recent Oreo update to the XZ Premium, Treble is not supported. I mean, these 3 are exactly the same phones in terms of software and hardware apart from screen size. Since Sony already developed Treble for the Xz1, couldn't the Premium also receive it?  

Adept
Message 14 of 29
Message 14 of 29

Re: Is there a chance of getting Treble in the future?

We need answers from sony itself Slightly frowning Face

Enthusiast
Message 15 of 29
Message 15 of 29

I have an XZ1, but I did not see the Treble. Where do you find it?

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 16 of 29
Message 16 of 29

adb shell 

getprop ro.treble.enabled

It will return a boolean value, true if your device supports Treble and false if it doesn’t.

Adept
Message 17 of 29
Message 17 of 29

That command returned false in XZ Premium running Oreo

Enthusiast
Message 18 of 29
Message 18 of 29

I've been reading everything about Project Treble, but I don't really understand what benefits it brings.

Does it mean that, with Treble, you'll get the newest Android version directly from Google? Without having to wait for OEMs (in this case, Sony of course) update?

Inhabitant
Message 19 of 29
Message 19 of 29

Re: XZ Premium Oreo and Project Treble

Hi,

I agree with this! Hope XZ Premium gets Project Treble support. Google did mention that it is possible that phones on the market can still get it without having Oreo out of the box.

Camera2api is really a must consider that many camera apps are now taking advantage of this.

Hope to see Ambient Display too; As well as Night Light under Settings > Display.

Cheers

Enthusiast
Message 20 of 29
Message 20 of 29

XZP/XZ1/XZ1C same software number different features?

With the recent update of the XZ1 and XZ1 Compact which is numbered as 47.1.A.5.51 is the same as the XZ Premium, but there are different software features. The XZP doesn't have Treble, New Dialer and Display Flash. I could understand why Sony won't give their flagship XZP treble, even though the software and hardware are exactly the same as the XZ1 and XZ1 Compact which have treble,which means Sony worked on implementing Treble. Display Flash and New Dialer can be added to the XZP no problem. Why Sony didn't update these when the XZP got Oreo. Are they busy with giving Oreo to the rest of the Xperia lineup and then focus on extra features for 8.1?  It's a bit disappointing for their 2017 flagship not to have features its smaller Siblings have. It's like The Z5 Premium having less features than the Z5 and Z5 Compact....