account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Will Xperia XZ Premium support Project Treble?

Inhabitant
Message 1 of 29
Message 1 of 29

Hi,

Just like Google Pixel and Pixel XL will be supported eventhough they are already released.

These are some of the phones that are already in the market yet it got support for Project Treble afterwards.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/11/26/phones-updated-support-project-treble-continuously-updated/

Our path to a faster OS update <3

Pretty excited for it ! 

Quote:

Spoiler
Google announced Project Treble a week ago, which aims to solve this particular problem by separating the Android OS from the 'Vendor interface' (the part with all the low-level drivers and binary blobs). The vendor interface under Project Treble is also designed to be forwards-compatible, meaning that it shouldn't have to be updated for every Android update, in theory.

Thank you very much!

Sincerely,

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
Message 2 of 29

Re: Will Xperia XZ Premium support Project Treble?

So Googles own devices will support something they invented to work with their own software...

Well, obviously.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 29
Message 3 of 29

Hi @PatQQ, thanks a lot for your question! Slightly smiling Face

I will see if I can get some more information regarding this and I will get back to you as soon as I have received it!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Inhabitant
Message 4 of 29
Message 4 of 29

Thank you very much for the reply! 

I will be listening anytime :smileysmileywink:

Sony Xperia Developer
Message 5 of 29
Message 5 of 29

Xperia XZ Premium will be initially released on Android 7.1 (Nougat). Information we receive from Google about upcoming Android releases is confidential, which is a reason why we rarely comment on our release plans until the Android source code is public. 

As you've learned, Project Treble is introduced in Android O and of course something to be considered for future updates as well as for new products. It looks like a simple decision in the graphics, but there is of course more to it than it looks on the surface. If you read the Google Blog announcement you may however see a hint about our engagement. Slightly smiling Face

That said, the announcement about Project Treble is fairly high-level so far. What are the promises you see from a user perspective and what are the expectations you hope to get fulfilled?

Inhabitant
Message 6 of 29
Message 6 of 29

Thank you very much for the detailed reply.

Looks like Sony contributed dozens of features and hundreds of bugfixes to Android O :smileysmileywink:

I am confident that all future phones will have Project Treble.

Letting Xperia XZ Premium to also support Project Treble is on my wishlist. 

I currently have a XZ and hope to be on the flagship phone from Sony. I'm not sure when i'll see another Premium phone again; therefore, I wish XZP does get Project Treble support as it's my next goto phone Grinning Face with smiling Eyes

Learner
Message 7 of 29
Message 7 of 29

Waiting for information. Finally, there would be a problem with Xperia updates. 

Message 8 of 29
Message 8 of 29

apparently Google is working with "some" companies on bringing Treble to existing devices https://reddit.com/r/androiddev/comments/6ubstt/episode_75_project_treble_for_the_hal_of_it/dlrity1?... so maybe there's some hope?
Veteran
Message 9 of 29
Message 9 of 29

@JensG wrote:

Xperia XZ Premium will be initially released on Android 7.1 (Nougat). Information we receive from Google about upcoming Android releases is confidential, which is a reason why we rarely comment on our release plans until the Android source code is public. 

As you've learned, Project Treble is introduced in Android O and of course something to be considered for future updates as well as for new products. It looks like a simple decision in the graphics, but there is of course more to it than it looks on the surface. If you read the Google Blog announcement you may however see a hint about our engagement. Slightly smiling Face

That said, the announcement about Project Treble is fairly high-level so far. What are the promises you see from a user perspective and what are the expectations you hope to get fulfilled?

XZ Premium WILL BE initially released??? 

OMG I thought it is already released... 

Project terrible is not needed, you already ruined the software even without it. 

Message 10 of 29
Message 10 of 29

you realize that the reply you quoted has been posted in May, before XZ Premium was released, don't you?