account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Wifi signal dropping

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 301 of 346
Message 301 of 346

Re: Wifi signal dropping

Didn't know how to reply to the main body of the thread so unfortunatelly i replied on another user. Apologies

I have recently purchased an XZ Premium dual and i am still facing wifi issues, after one month.

Phone was shipped with version 75, then updated to 119 and I am on 145 currently. All three of those are having the same issue. Wifi is constantly dropping when the signal is lower than 2/4 strength.

I also had 2 other Xperia's Z1 and Z3+ and never had the below issues.

1. I am using it in an underground gym where my only communication with the outer world is via wifi, so for at least one hour for 4 times a week is problematic as i am trying to listen to Web Radio and the signal is dropping every 2-3 minutes. Web radio app has a 15seconds buffer, but still the music is constantly stopping, and this is making the app to crash. Sometimes to reconnect i need to go into the setting and search for a wifi network again. This has never happened with my previous daily driver Z3+ Dual, even when the phone was overheating.

2. Using my home Wifi and the Panasonic TV app where my Panasonic TV allows me to stream the any TV channel (same router, same distance between phone, router and TV) to my wifi devices which run this app. I have tryied this app to 4 other devices (2012 Samsung tablet, Z1, Z3+ and Galaxy S8) and the streaming of the channel of my preference is seamless, it takes 3-5secs to load and then i can watch TV all over my house. When I am using my XZ Premium though (signal 2/4), the application constantly loads and the stream never works. Panasonic app freezes. The wifi icon on the status bar seems like it is exchanging data in the beginning, but after 10 seconds becomes inactive.

I cannot believe that a 2017 flagship has issues where my 5 year old and very slow Samsung tablet doesn't. This is making me to believe that Sony chose to replace the wifi module provider and the issue hardware related and not software. If it was software then this should have been solved by now since the phone is released almost a year ago.

I will be very sceptical to re-purchase a Sony phone after 3 consecutive devices. Issue is far from SOLVED

KR

Lithros

Enthusiast
Message 302 of 346
Message 302 of 346

My XZP is still with my local Sony service center, they are currently doing a longer testing after I explained to them about the issue. They are suggesting to change the motherboard. Will keep you guys updated of the outcome.

Learner
Message 303 of 346
Message 303 of 346

@Emirwrote:

Hi Everyone,

You might experience that your phone sometimes loses the Wi-Fi connection and you need to restart the phone to get it reconnected. This is known and will be improved in the next software release. The affected software versions are 47.1.A.12.34 or earlier on Android 8.0.

However, please note that software updates are released at different times depending on the operator, market, region or country. Therefore, we cannot give you an exact date for when a specific update will be available for your device. In addition, network operators and specific markets may choose not to use the updates for specific models.

Update: Thank you for all the feedback! We understand that the improvements we introduced did not resolve the behavior for everyone.

We will keep investigating in order to provide further improvements.

This is really frustrating, the wifi on my Xperia xz premium is really bad, I have to restart my phone everyday in order for my wifi to work. Everyone around me will be connected to the wifi and my phone doesn't even see that there's wifi available. This is really ununacceptable especially since this is one of Sony's Premium devices 

Visitor
Message 304 of 346
Message 304 of 346

Hi everyone,

I'm owning an Xperia XZ1 Compact with Android Oreo, which also suffers from reocurring wifi signal lost. Everytime when I enter a room different from where my router is, the signal strength drops significantly and the connection is lost randomly. After one or two seconds, however, my Xperia reconnects. If I can be of any help, then please let me know!

Best regards

Enthusiast
Message 305 of 346
Message 305 of 346

Do you have two different wi-fi point/router? eg. One in your room and another outside? If that is the case, your symptom is actually normal..since it will drop connection once it become weaken and reconnects to the one closer and stronger...

There seem to be two types of wifi issue here...

1st type, even though we are connected to the same wifi in the same location...after a period has passed, wifi will just drop(wifi icon disappear) by itself, and it will be very unstable even if you attempt to connect back manually. eg. drop again after a few seconds...the only workaround is to restart the phone which is very annoying and breaks the usability of the phone due to that...

2nd type is that you are still connected to wifi(eg. wifi icon still on) but no internet, the workaround for this is to disable wifi and enable again...which is also very annoying...

Enthusiast
Message 306 of 346
Message 306 of 346

So I just got back my XZP from my local Sony service center. They had replaced the motherboard.

Will monitor a week or two and see if wi-fi still continues to drop...

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 307 of 346
Message 307 of 346

Nope...didn't work....wifi still dropping after replacing motherboard....

Message 308 of 346
Message 308 of 346

That!

I made them replace mine and have had no issues since. I'm still convinced it is a common hardware fault. 

Enthusiast
Message 309 of 346
Message 309 of 346

I had sent it in to the service center again and had requested their engineer to call me. Let's see what they will do this time...

One time poster
Message 310 of 346
Message 310 of 346

My issue is wifi not waking from deep sleep. 

Wifi will work fine. Hour or two later, the connection will be gone. Trying to turn wifi back on, results in a system ui crash. Been happening for around 2 week. A restart is the only fix. Running wifi always on, also stops the problem,or safe mode. 

My xzp had wifi issues before first update, but hasn't had any issues ununt now.