account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Wifi signal dropping

SOLVED
Adept
Message 11 of 346
Message 11 of 346

WiFi drop and no reconnect possible

I have a serious issue with WiFi.

Tested on 3 different SSID and 3 different routers and always the issue.

After some time, WiFi signal dropped. In statusbar I see the WiFi symbol with the X. Disabling and enabling WiFi it connect again to the SSID and I'm online again.

But now I can't connect to any SSID. No WiFi connection is possible. And yes, I'm using the correct credentials. And yes, no changes are made on the routers, because my tablet get a connection.

Also I have big issues with 5GHz WiFi hotspots.

2 reasons are possible:

1. Software/Firmware update must resolve this

2. Hardware fault.

SONY? What do you mean?

It looks like I'm not the only one with these problems.

And yes: I've rebooted my device. Not only once...... No connect to any SSID is possible

Sony Xperia Developer
Message 12 of 346
Message 12 of 346

Re: Internet connection issues

Hi all. 

Each AccessPoint or Router is a bit different but together we may find a way to connect. Expect each network to need a sepearate investigation however. First, here's a generic link that I think could be nice as a starter.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/networks/1401371/how-to-extend-wi-fi-range-increase-speed-and-fix-pro...

A wifi network cannot handle unlimited amount of devices. If you are able to check the router logs your may find the error there. If you're on a public wifi, the network is possibly congested. Another thing you need to make sure is that the clock on your device and on the network are correctly set. If not, connections may be declined.

When you have wifi connected, but "no internet" that is usually the DHCP not assigning your device an IP number. Try turning other devices off to see if it works better with "less competition". You may also go in the Router settings to assign your device a fixed IP number, thus getting priorty.

5GHz wifi has shorter range and may be fluctuating more than what's visible in the status bar. On each "reconnect" the DHCP may kick in and fail. 

In Android Nougat the "no internet" popup offers you to stay on the networka anyway. It seems if you do that (or ignore the popup), the device will not agressively try to re-negotiate. So if you get in that state for more than a few seconds you probably want to force reconnect. 

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Developer
Message 13 of 346
Message 13 of 346

Re: WiFi drop and no reconnect possible

Hi @schickel sorry to hear about your problems. In this case you need to take one network at a time and find the reason for the fail. The fact that other devices can attach to the network isn't neccesarily saying that the problem isn't in the network configuration. See my other comment on this subject.

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-XZ-Premium/Wifi-signal-dropping/m-p/1229862#M872

If you have a home network that you have control over, start with that investigation. Does it work better with 2.4Ghz network?

Adept
Message 14 of 346
Message 14 of 346

@JensG: Sorry, but it must defently be a problem on the XZP. On my mobile hotspot is only my tablet and XZP connected. And the dhcp-range is freeeeeeeeee. And also at home every WiFi device have no problems with connect to my 2 different FritzBoxes. And in my office (Cisco hotspots) also am I the only one who can't connect to the SSID.

And also there seems to be a big problem with 5GHz WiFi networks.

So, have you any other "solutions" as the standard one?

I won't go deeper in router and config (I'm a networker and in the logs from our cisco hotspots there a no hints, that my XZP try to connect). For now it works, but today I faced it 3 times, that WiFi dropped and no reconnect is possible

Sony Xperia Developer
Message 15 of 346
Message 15 of 346

@schickel Sorry, I have no generic solution at the moment. 

> in the logs from our cisco hotspots there a no hints, that my XZP try to connect

I may have misunderstood here. Did it not connect at all or stuck with a "no internet" connection?

It would be valuable if you could see what triggers the phone to drop the connection once you have it. That seems to be your root problem.

The fact that the device is not agressively trying to re-connect is a separate problem, and you should be able to force reconnect in that case + see any error in the logs then.

Adept
Message 16 of 346
Message 16 of 346

@JensG: Today it doesn't stuck with a "no internet" connection.

But after the connection dropped, my XZP is trying again and again to reconnect. And as I wrote before, this happend to 4 different routers again and again. And also deleting the SSID from XZP and put in the credentials again also fails. And suddenly, without any describeable reason it reconnects for a $ timerange and the game starts again. And again, this happends on 4 different routers.

Adviser
Message 17 of 346
Message 17 of 346

My phone refuses to change to 2.4 GHz on a dual band router with the same SSID for both the 5ghz and 2.4ghz Wi-Fi. Compared it to an old S6 that switched to 2.4 after I went into another room, the xz premium however stayed on the 5ghz one and lost Internet connection while showing full WiFi bars. Seems it checks 2.4ghz for bars and 5ghz to connect. Is there any option to change it to 2.4ghz without having to change my routers settings? 

Don't want to lose the 5ghz functionality, as every other device works just fine and switches from 5 to 2.4 if need be. 

2.4ghz works flawlessly on the xz premium though. 

Talent
Message 18 of 346
Message 18 of 346

I also have a shared SSID with 2.4 and 5ghz. Might be related to that.

I noticed yesterday that the WIFI just keeps re-connecting too, draining the battery like a mofo. I'd say that around 70-80% of the time, there's no internet connection. While the WiFi speed and connection are perfectly in order. As a quick fix I have currently turned off WiFi and do everything through 4G.

@Devs, with this many people experiencing problems, you should be able to reproduce the issue? When I get home later I'll try to get some logs going.

Adept
Message 19 of 346
Message 19 of 346

@Dutchy007

I'm happy that I'm not the only one with this problems. Battary drains for sure faster if the phone try to reconnect to the SSID.

As I say: there must be a bug in the firmware and I'm hoping to get a fix for this issue...

Talent
Message 20 of 346
Message 20 of 346

As promised some logging. My new router however, does not provide any kind of (usefull) logging. Instead I did some tests with pinging the device.

The first test is at 2.4ghz (disabled 5ghz)

The results: https://pastebin.com/YVYcL6VE

Now, when I start the ping, I sit at my desk which is around 6 or 7 meters away from the access point. As you can see it starts off with pretty spiking MS latency, though it still works. 

I then proceed to walk slowly to the access point, at which it reponds with a 1-5ms reply. Which is how it should be I guess, considering it's point blank range. I walk back, at that point I get a timeout and the WiFi simply disconnects and somehow can't reconnect.

The second test is at 5ghz (disabled 2.4ghz) (This is where it gets shocking)

The results: https://pastebin.com/At8CSUVr

Again, when I start the ping, I sit at my desk. Straight away I notice the reception is 5/5 bars. The reported speed is around 500. However, I simply do not have internet. The ping confirms this. Eventually a single ping comes through with a reply of 779ms. After a short while I walk towards the access point. I hold it at point blank range, the lowest I get is 12ms. The rest sits at a much higher value (130-250ms). I walk back again to my desk. The ping times out again and I'm back to my 5 lines with no internet connection.

As comparison, this is my Z2 (2.4ghz and 5ghz enabled).

Z2 test: https://pastebin.com/8DNnvw2b

Same thing, start at my desk. Phone connects at 5ghz. Weirdly I see it at 4 bars, which wouldn't be hard to believe, it's 6-7 meters away.

I walk towards the access point. At point blank range it has a lower MS. Understandable. I walk back to my desk and the connection STAYS active. There's no packet loss, no timeouts, no nothing.

As it looks to me, the XZ Premium doesn't have enough transmitting power or something?