account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Wifi calling/texts ans TMobile networkbinbthe USA

Adviser
Message 1 of 26
Message 1 of 26

Wifi calling/texts ans TMobile networkbinbthe USA

I have been spending hours trying not get wifi calling and texts to work on my xz premium dual sim phone. Sony blames TMobile and TMobile blames Sony. I work in a hospital with no TMobile service and need to be able to use wifi calling or texts. I installed Google voice and got a Google number which allows me to send texts with my Google number but if I try to make a call with only wifi signal, it tells me I can't. This phone is nothing more than a camera or paperweight at this point. Everyone at work makes fun of the phone for not working. I know there is a way to make this phone do wifi calling but either TMobile or Sony or more likely both won't put out the firmware to look it. I am very frustrated. Anyone know of a hack to get around this BS and just make this phone work? I currently feel like just throwing this phone away. (just bought it 2 months ago). Great picture but terrible phone service. 

25 REPLIES 25
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 26
Message 2 of 26

Re: Wifi calling/texts ans TMobile networkbinbthe USA

Hi @HaroldWelsh, welcome to the community.

VoWifi (Voice over Wi-Fi) is a telephony service provided by your network operator. It means that your network operator provides a voice call service using Wi-Fi.

To use VoWifi or Wi-Fi Calling, your device needs operator-customised software and your subscription (incl. SIM card) must support Wi-Fi Calling for the device model you're using. To inquire if your subscription and SIM card support VoWifi/Wi-Fi Calling, contact your mobile network operator.

Is your handset TMobile branded? Or does it have TMobile firmware? If not, then VoWifi will not work.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Adviser
Message 3 of 26
Message 3 of 26

@CameronT wrote:

Hi @HaroldWelsh, welcome to the community.

VoWifi (Voice over Wi-Fi) is a telephony service provided by your network operator. It means that your network operator provides a voice call service using Wi-Fi.

To use VoWifi or Wi-Fi Calling, your device needs operator-customised software and your subscription (incl. SIM card) must support Wi-Fi Calling for the device model you're using. To inquire if your subscription and SIM card support VoWifi/Wi-Fi Calling, contact your mobile network operator.

Is your handset TMobile branded? Or does it have TMobile firmware? If not, then VoWifi will not work.

Sony does not sell Any phones through the carriers in the USA. So no the phone is not branded. Tmobile actually told me that the phone is not compatible because I did not buy it from them. Sound pretty crappy if you ask me. And none of this helps me with my service at work

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 26
Message 4 of 26

@HaroldWelsh,

In a way, TMobile are correct. Unfortunately, because the operator firmware is required, you generally can not use network specific functionality on an unlocked device.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Adviser
Message 5 of 26
Message 5 of 26

If that truly is the case, why does the XZ1 compact work but not the ZZ1 or XZ premium? That all have the exact hardware with the exception of screen size and battery. You cannot tell me that screen size affects the modem or antenna or reception.

http://www.spectrumgateway.com/compatible

Sage
Message 6 of 26
Message 6 of 26

The carrier you have chosen will have to support your phone, does not matter if they support other phones.

Since your phone is un-locked, why don't you just change to a carrier that supports VoLTE for your phone? (I assume some carriers in the US does.....)

Adviser
Message 7 of 26
Message 7 of 26

No I cannot switch carriers so my only options are to either flash this phone with the modem firmware for the XZ1 compact or find a way to trade it for the XZ1 compact or just trash this phone and call it a loss since it does no good for me at work. Everyone at work already thinks this phone is a joke because it doesn't work(really sad for a flagship phone) 

Sage
Message 8 of 26
Message 8 of 26

Your current carrier seems to not support VoLTE on the XZ Premium phone, and you do not want/choose not to switch to a carrier that supports it, what do you really expect that Sony will do for you on this matter?

-I understand the disapointment, but this has nothing to do with the Sony/XZ Premium phone and that disapointment should then be directed towards your carrier.

Adviser
Message 9 of 26
Message 9 of 26

This phone will not work on Verizon or sprint out here. That leaves me with AT&T and T Mobile. AT&T is too expensive and from what I have read will have the same issues as T Mobile so switching does me no good. This issue is the fault of both Sony and the carriers. Each want to blame the other but the fact remains that the xz1 compact get VoLTe from the mobile so the premium could. Of it is really the carriers fault, Sony could negotiate with the mobile to support it like it did the XZ1 compact. If T Mobile is correct, then Sony could create the firmware like they did for the XZ1 compact. For a flagship phone, it is really sad and all my CO workers at the hospital think the phone is a joke 

Pioneer
Message 10 of 26
Message 10 of 26

I know it sounds stupid but did you active the WiFi calling option in your phone settings? Die you activate the WiFi calling online on your SIM?

Normally both settings are off, so you have to log into your contract account and activate WiFi calling for you SIM and also have to activate it in your phone settings.

If your WiFi calling option is deactivated for your SIM card, the option on your phone isn't shown. If your SIM support's WiFi calling, the Funktion ist shown inside the settings menu in the WiFi section.