account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Wifi calling/texts ans TMobile networkbinbthe USA

Regular
Message 21 of 26
Message 21 of 26

Re: Wifi calling/texts ans TMobile networkbinbthe USA

You keep saying as long as it has carrier branded firmware... Yet you know that it does not have any carrier firmware in the United States. This phone is advertised as VoLTE and VoWiFi capable and yet it does not work. Switching carriers doesn't work either. Already tried SIM cards from multiple carriers and nothing. Put them back in their phones and both features work. I can pull my T-Mobile SIM out and put it back in my old Z3 and VoLTE and wifi calling works great. This is an over priced paper weight that no one will buy. The electronic recyclers don't even offer money for this piece of junk. I'm just stuck with a phone that drops calls, can't use data and it's embarrassing at work. I see Harold works at a hospital but I work in the Home Automation tech industry. I tell everyone I know that Sony isn't worth crap any more. You're following your Beta Max down the hole of extinction. This is the last Sony product I have purchased or will ever purchase. Go ahead, reply with your copy and paste cookie cutter response... Or how about a new one? Like you could just move to another country. Or try T-Mobile's response, you could upgrade your phone. Upgrade from a supposed flagship phone. That's how much of a joke this phone is. 

Enthusiast
Message 22 of 26
Message 22 of 26

Sony Mobile's solution to the problem is very inefficient,I am also a victim . I suggest you change the phone:smileyconfused:

Emperor
Message 23 of 26
Message 23 of 26

@Pryde97 @Avril 

The answer was already provided, this will not work, this is something that will only work if you have a branded phone, you have an unlocked device, it won't work, unless if I'm not mistaken, the carrier network, in this case T-mobile, invest resources to add this feature to unlocked devices, which I highly doubt it'll happen; they want you to use their network with branded phones so they have you not only with a 2-3 year contract but also with a phone payment contract, which means that they will reserve certain features to their branded devices. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 24 of 26
Message 24 of 26

Actually, there are unlocked phones that have wifi calling and VoLTe. The 1plus 5 does as does Sony smaller XZ compact which is basically the same phone as the premium but with a smaller screen. Some people have even flashed the compacts modem firmware and gotten the premium to work on wifi calling for T mobile. Here is a list of unlocked phone that do work so it is not just network branded phone that work.

http://www.spectrumgateway.com/compatible

Emperor
Message 25 of 26
Message 25 of 26

@HaroldWelsh

Again, I didn't said that it wouldn't worked with unlocked phones, but that T-mobile will prioritise locked devices

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
Message 26 of 26
Message 26 of 26

Bought this phone on the specs and really enjoy it. But I am returning it to Amazon. The guy at the store did something to make Lte work but it can't change frequency when that's not available. Dropping calls in places that I never have before and if LTE is all I have then I at least need wifi calling. Not hangouts but wifi calling b/c there are too many people in the apple universe that don't do hangouts. Dam shame to, I really like this phone.