account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Wifi calling/texts ans TMobile networkbinbthe USA

Adviser
Message 11 of 26
Message 11 of 26

Re: Wifi calling/texts ans TMobile networkbinbthe USA

T Mobile said it was active on my account and yet the option is not on my phone at all. I've spent hours trying to fix this both at their stores and on the phone. In total I think I have spent about 2 hours in their stores 3 hours on the phone with them and another 3 hours on the phone with Sony. Everyone wants to blame the other. In the meantime I have an expensive paperweight that takes great pictures but does nothing for me when I am at work except create laughter from coworkers on how this phone doesn't work. 

Pioneer
Message 12 of 26
Message 12 of 26

Go into "Settings -> network &internet" and press "internet settings" and download the new settings. Reboot your phone.

Then go to "settings -> network & internet -> WiFi -> WiFi - preferences -> advanced settings"

If the option "WiFi calling" still isn't visible. There must be a problem with your provider. A defective SIM card or a not activated function by your provider. The XZP is one of the few phones with native WiFi calling support without any extra app. It is even listed as a supported devices on the T-Mobile homepage.

The only other reason could be a faulty software update to 8.0. in that case, a software repair is necessary.

Adviser
Message 13 of 26
Message 13 of 26

Actually, according to T Mobile, to be able to use wifi calling, it must support VoLTe which according to T Mobile, this phone does not. And there is no wifi calling listed anywhere on my phone. Even Google voice does not work on this phone 

Sage
Message 14 of 26
Message 14 of 26

Google voice, are you referring to Google Assistant or something else?

Adviser
Message 15 of 26
Message 15 of 26

No it is an app that let's you do calling over the internet with a phone number you get from google

Pioneer
Message 16 of 26
Message 16 of 26

So I just read in some forums, that there is an agreement problem between Sony and T-Mobile. Because of different reasons, Sony isn't allowed to activate/implement the VoLTE/VoWiFi function for T-Mobile in the US version of the XZP. It's not an hardware but an software restriction. The XZ1 compact is the only Sony phone, which is allowed to use VoLTE in the US.

Still, it is possible to activate this feature on the the XZP but it includes flashing parts of other firmwares. There are posts about it on the XDA forums.

Technically, the phone supports VoLTE/VoWiFi and I'm using it with TMO and o2. This is possible because I have the European/German version.

You could also try the app "T-Mobile digits". It allows WiFi calls.

Adviser
Message 17 of 26
Message 17 of 26

I have read some of those ghee ads. I do not know how to flash it and do not know where to find someone who cn flashing and while I could care less about the warrantee right now. I do need to know that I will still be able to update my phone without issues. I am also open to trading this phone for the xz compact but once gain the issue is finding someone to trade it to or someone willing to buy this phone (which will be hard since everyone I talk to thinks this phone is a joke right now

Sony Xperia Support
Message 18 of 26
Message 18 of 26

I am not sure who advised you that the XZ Premium was not VoLTE compatible but it absolutely is. As mentioned before the phone needs to have the firmware for the network that is supplying the VoLTE or VoWIFI service.

It is not the fault of Sony or T-Mobile specifically. The handset you have is an unlocked device that does not have the firmware needed for this service with your particular operator.

On the T-Mobile website, it states that other than a select few handsets, Wi-Fi calling is not available on non-T-Mobile devices. The Xperia XZ Premium is not listed as one of those exceptions.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 19 of 26
Message 19 of 26

T Mobile are the ones who insist that this phone does not support VoLTe or wifi calling. I know that this phone does but each one blames the other. I have read where some people have flashed the modem firmware from the XZ1 compact onto the xz premium (same phone apart from screen and battery) and they got it to work. I have lays know it was doable but Sony keeps telling me it isn't mobile who needs to enable it and T Mobile tells me it is not supported and to talk to Sony. My only options as of now are working either flash it(which voids the warranty though at this point I don't care) or find a way to trade it in for the xz compact. And quite frankly I do not care which option right now as on as I can get VoLTe and wifi calling/texts. When my new screen protector comes in I am going to remove the sim card and see if I can make a call using BBM. Then I'll know if T Mobile is keeping me from even using outside apps to make wifi calls. My old blackberry can make calls without a simcard using only my house wifi. 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 20 of 26
Message 20 of 26

I think there's been some confusion or miscommunication.

The Xperia XZ Premium supports VoLTE and VoWIFI. However, in order to use this function it requires the network branded firmware. If you do not purchase the handset from the network then it is unlikely to have the networks branded firmware on it.

To my knowledge, I do not believe that they sell the Xperia XZ Premium, and as such it will not support VoLTE or VoWIFI on their network. So in a way, T-Mobile are correct in that regard.

The phone is absolutely compatible with VoLTE and VoWIFI though if it has the right firmware for the network you are trying to use the service on. Be that Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile etc. 

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.