account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

When Can XZ Premium Use Full 4K Resolution?

Learner
Message 61 of 74
Message 61 of 74

Re: XZ premium is not a real 4K device according to a french article.

Obviously !

But this article is heavily misleading, if not worse, in the way it STATES the phone isn't a 4K phone, even with "UHD content" as they mention under the picture of the eye beeing compared.

They call SONY a lier, and didn't post anything since few month.

It should be an algorythm dedicated to the interpolation of pixels, since the pixels in the software are always x/y array. A pentile array can't represent a 1px horizontal line ( or vertical, it depends of the orientation ) BUT, like ClearType, they should be using a subpixel rendering, which makes the counting harder.

if it was someone trolling in a forum i wouldn't bat an eye, but its a famous website !!!

One time poster
Message 62 of 74
Message 62 of 74

Re: When Can XZ Premium Use Full 4K Resolution?

I've just upgraded from a Z5 to XZ Premium and I'm absolutely gutted to find that the XZ appears to have taken a step backwards. When I got the Z5 it was, at the time, the only phone with a 4k screen and the Album app (XPeria's own app) automatically rendered photographs in 4k.  You opened the app, selected a photo and it would open then after a second or two would burst into life with bright colours and very fine detail. However this doesn't happen on my new XZ!! 

Unless I have to make a change to the settings somewhere (I've searched and can't find anything about it) it would appear that my new premium Sony isn't as good as my old one!

Anyone know if I'm doing something wrong?

(By the way the new phone using the same Album app is definitely not rendering in 4k. I know this for two reasons...

I know from experience of using the Z5 that the difference between the photo when it first opens and the photo when it renders to 4k is unmistakeable.

I have tested by opening the same photo using both the Z5 and the XZ and put them side by side and can clearly see that the picture on my old phone is a lot sharper and more colourful than the picture on my new phone)

The 4k video content seems to work fine. It's just the photos in the Xperia Album app which are treated differently. 

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 63 of 74
Message 63 of 74

Quote:

I know mine used to do that but I changed the resolution with adb command  ( wm size ) 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Is this ADB still the only way to force the XZ-P into full, continuous 4K dsplay?

(Also, I have a Mac, and am unsure if there is a similar Google app to allow adb commands for Mac / OSX.)
Please, Sony, give us a way to easily force full, continuous 4K when we need it within the phone settings. 
We know that there may be a battery-life hit, but we are grownups and can decide if that matters.
Thanks.

Inhabitant
Message 64 of 74
Message 64 of 74

Mine is working on native 4k by deffault, at least that's what aida64 says...

Message 65 of 74
Message 65 of 74

@FragmentVision if you haven't messed with adb settings, then the phone isn't running in native 4K. AIDA64 reports the screen's resolution, not the rendered resolution. 

Inhabitant
Message 66 of 74
Message 66 of 74

Actualy it was my mistake. If you had some app wich is using 4k than in aida64 it's shown 4k but its 1080p.... My bad.

Learner
Message 67 of 74
Message 67 of 74

Hi, 

I have android 8.0 and xperia album app does not open images in 4k resolution. I try to open the 4k images that come with the device but when I zoom in I see the quality is not good. Can you please help with this? 

Pioneer
Message 68 of 74
Message 68 of 74

Hi @mlateef;

What do you mean with the 4K pictures don't have quality? Remember that a 4K picture is more or less equivalent to a 8MP picture wich mean that any picture you take with the phone will have more resolution than a 4K picture. 

Learner
Message 69 of 74
Message 69 of 74

I mean although the image quality is high, Xperia album does not render it on 4k. I think this is because of the system update to Android 8.0 because I opened the same photo before the update and it showed great.details.

Pioneer
Message 70 of 74
Message 70 of 74

@mlateef;

I don't think the update is supposed to do something to the image rendering. Sometimes the album app can take some time (1 or 2 seconds) for the image to be rendered in full quality when you open it.

Try also to use the phone in safe mode to see if you note any difference.