account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

When Can XZ Premium Use Full 4K Resolution?

Sony Xperia Developer
Message 31 of 72
Message 31 of 72

Re: When Can XZ Premium Use Full 4K Resolution?

@viridis wrote:

@Bjorn_O

What does an app have to do now, in order to "see" and activate the 4k mode switch?

Is it controlled by Sony end or app end?

I don't have the details. It seems like it's handled by the system. Currently, I don't think apps have any control over this.   

Apprentice
Message 32 of 72
Message 32 of 72

@viridis wrote:

Just to update you @WHAALE-FPV

The dji go app does work on XZ Premium, which is obviously the first hurdle passed.

thx for the info!!!

( now we have to buy another device Slightly smiling Face )

Highlighted
Message 33 of 72
Message 33 of 72

@WHAALE-FPV wrote:

@viridis wrote:

Just to update you @WHAALE-FPV

The dji go app does work on XZ Premium, which is obviously the first hurdle passed.

thx for the info!!!

(**bleep**, now we have to buy another device Slightly smiling Face )

You should see the 4k footage off a phantom 4 pro on this thing.... Woah is all I'll say.. 

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Inhabitant
Message 34 of 72
Message 34 of 72

Could everyone list ALL the apps that are capable of setting 4K as of XZP release time?  If so, could you please list any / all apps that are: capable of 4K, or can be set to default to 4K, etc.?  
This would include video and photo apps, game apps, even the Home screen / OS app - anything that can display 4K -so we will all be aware, and whether it is controllable by user or by native OS.  Also, please include any apps you may know of that are still under development but not yet released.
I'm still hopeful that Sony will allow us 'universal control' to enable / defeat the 4K, 2K, 1080 settings.

Many thanks to all for your insights!
Randall, O.P.

One time poster
Message 35 of 72
Message 35 of 72

Hey there, you are right about automation, is a good thing but what if someone would like the true 4k... or maybe that 30min more of display using 1080p only...
My idea was to literally make an option in developer options to "force" a resolution
this way a casual user will be able to enjoy automation but for those who want more control over the display, they will be able to make their own decision between 1080p or 4k, this in my opinion is a safe and very good option, cos still this days automation can be a deal breaker for some people including me....

Inhabitant
Message 36 of 72
Message 36 of 72

YES!!!  - This is super important!
Please let us have the option to 'force' the resolution to 4K.  There are those of us primarily interested in this phone due to the great resolution it may allow.  But to limit this to only the apps that Sony's engineers think are best for us means that great ideas for its use will be ignored.  
Many, many potential buyers will go elsewhere, thinking: "This is the future of phone resolution and I could really use that. But Sony did not have the foresight to predict MY use, and thus did not allow me to have 4K resolution - except when they wanted me to."
So Sony, please don't do this - put this control, and the decision for when to use 4K into the hands of the people who will - or will not - buy a phone with this amazing display.  You can't predict how this could be used, and battery life is NOT the only criterion for deciding how a unique phone can be put to its best use.  I can imagine may scenarios where I wouldn't care at all about battery life, but desperately needed the highest resolution - not always - but then we'd be able to choose what WE needed.
If we are given the ability to decide for ourselves - the phone more usable and more desireable to a FAR greater audience.

One time poster
Message 37 of 72
Message 37 of 72

I personally want to force 4k on everything. Don't tell me what is good or what is bad. Just give me those microscopic super ultra sharp icons so I can judge for myself how bad it is. Give me those unreadable 4k text please!!!

Inhabitant
Message 38 of 72
Message 38 of 72

Changed the resolution via adb and it looks amazing now. Screen info app says: 3594x2160@60hz and 820 dpi

Adviser
Message 39 of 72
Message 39 of 72

I too would like the option to turn on 4k and not have to use the adb to hack this on. 

Please make this happen Sony. 😀

Learner
Message 40 of 72
Message 40 of 72

I would like the XZ Premium to be able to render 3D content in 4K, specifically I want to be able to use Google Chrome in 4K mode to render A-frame VR content, so that I can put the phone into a VR headset, and have the best VR display currently available. I tried this in the Z5 Premium and it wasn't full 4K. 4K VR is actual the main reason I'm buying this phone over Samsung.