account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

When Can XZ Premium Use Full 4K Resolution?

Message 11 of 72
Message 11 of 72

Re: When Can XZ Premium Use Full 4K Resolution?

@RoboticBot wrote:

Bjorn,

Thanks for your help!
Here is the background for the question:
I need to upload photographs I've taken (using Sony Alpha cameras) to display in highest resolution to show my photographic work when 'on the road.' I've not had a Sony phone previously, but the 4K resolution (and the fact that I'm using 3 Sony Alpha cameras in my work) have encouraged me to look into using the XZ Premium to show my work out on location.
But since I'm totally unfamiliar with the Apps that the XZ Prem. uses to show photos, I want to be sure that I can use the Album app or a Video app to effectively to do this - and in 4K.

Here's a bit more info - I may use a VR type viewer (like Google Cardboard, but much improved optics and enclosure) to help view the photographs on the phone, so the 4K resolution would be very important.  These VR viewers divide the picture in half, and it halves the resolution - so 4K is needed to still have a high resolution for each eye.  I've tried doing the above using some of the recent Samsung and LG phones, and they already look great, but the Sony at 4K would likely look incredible. And with a VR viewer attached, I may need a separate app to be able to select the photos (go forward / reverse in order, etc.).  So if other apps could also be used in 4K, I'd know I can use it this way if needed.

I do like automated features, but almost always find that, if I can turn off the automation - even at the expense of faster battery consumption - I always prefer having that possibilty.  Example: I always like to manually control my screen brightness, because it is never 'quite right,' for the situation. "Automatic" always sets it to a 'reasonable' brightness, and probably saves battery power, but I need to be able to set brightness to the perfect setting for my own needs.  If 4K consumes much more power, I'd still like to be able to decide when it's worth the trade-off.  And if it is that it may become too hot, then a warning would be needed, or a temporary shut off to protect the phone.

If you are still reading, I'll ask one further thing: Is the XZ Prem.'s display likely to have much 'burn-in,' similar to the older Samsung OLED's?

Sorry if I gave you too much information, but wanted to be more clear.
Thanks for your assistance, and I'm hopeful the XZ P will be the perfect phone for my needs!
- Randall
@RoboticBot

Lcd doesn't get oled burn in like on Samsung, it's one reason I prefer lcd.

As for camera compatibility, luckily the Xperia Album app supports viewing the ARW raw file format produced from Alpha cameras, as well as DNG,  PNF, JPG, and quite a few others.

On loading the image, the app changes to 4k and shows the image at maximum resolution, you will be impressed, I'm sure

Screenshot_20170523-094940.png

Screenshot_20170523-094934.png

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Talent
Message 12 of 72
Message 12 of 72

SORRY but samsung fixed OLED burn-in issue years ago...

I prefer LCD too but not LCD with low contrast like XZP (1238:1) atleast (2000:1) contrast is a must for LCD panel ..

Inhabitant
Message 13 of 72
Message 13 of 72

Wow, thanks viridis!
So then it can use files from outside sources (like from a Sony alpha camera, if exported in the right file type)?
And these files can be used in the Album app on the XZ Premium displayed in 4K mode?
Great news if so!!
I've heard that the X5 Premium took a few seconds to display the full resolution image (it quickly displayed a LOW-rez one, but took longer to put up the high-rez one).  
So would sizing a jpg to the exact resolution (2160 x 3840) of the XZ P screen make this a fast process, and display the high-rez image quickly, if no interpolation in resolution is needed?
Many thanks to viridis (and Bjorn)!!

Message 14 of 72
Message 14 of 72

@Thelastofus wrote:

SORRY but samsung fixed OLED burn-in issue years ago...

No, they really didn't,would you like physical proof or just take my word for it. Samsung cannot fix a hardware limitation of oled cells.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.

Sony Xperia Developer
Message 15 of 72
Message 15 of 72

I see that @viridis have already done a great job answering most of your questions.

It's nice to hear that photographers find that the quality and high resolution of the Xperia XZ Premium display can help them in their work.  

@RoboticBot wrote:

So then it can use files from outside sources (like from a Sony alpha camera, if exported in the right file type)?
And these files can be used in the Album app on the XZ Premium displayed in 4K mode? 

Yes and yes! Slightly smiling Face

@RoboticBot wrote:

So would sizing a jpg to the exact resolution (2160 x 3840) of the XZ P screen make this a fast process, and display the high-rez image quickly, if no interpolation in resolution is needed?

I will look into this one. So far I have not experienced any performance problems when loading 4K images taken with the camera. 

About the VR usecase. You will be able to watch VR videos, such as Youtube VR in 4K resolution. Currently I think VR still images is not supported by Xperia Album. When images are viewed in for example Googles Cardboard Camera, the 4K mode is not active.

Using 4K resolution for image viewing in VR is a great idea and I'll suggest internally that the use-case is reconsidered.

Talent
Message 16 of 72
Message 16 of 72

Atleast they improved it with their latest OLED panel they using in GALAXY S8 (DEEP RED OLED)

WHY APPLE WANT TO BUY OLED PANEL FROM SAMSUNG FOR IPHONE8? because samsung is largest medium-sized oled producer in the world ..they trust samsung because their OLED panel have the best Quality..

But what about SONY ?? they used TN panel in XPERIA Z AND Z1..

After that they used low Quality and cheap IPS panel from Z2 to XZ PREMIUM ! Not a huge improvement 

Inhabitant
Message 17 of 72
Message 17 of 72

Re: And About 4K Resolution in Video - What File Types?

Thanks, Bjorn for all the help and info!! (also Viridis!)
One last thing though - What file types of video will the XZ-P accept if I upload a movie to the phone?  And will that movie play in Album, or other app? (Sorry - not familiar enough yet with the Sony apps, but hope to be soon.)
Just want to know if I can upload my own movie into the XZ-P, and play it for sure in 4K (whatever app is needed).  So, please - what app - and what file types of video do you think will play in 4K?  (MOV, WAV, MP4, etc.?)
And would I be able to somehow remotely control my slide show from another mobile device or other control (to advance to next image, etc. for photos - or to stop, start, fast forward, etc. for video?)

Many thanks for your ongoing answers!
Randall

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Developer
Message 18 of 72
Message 18 of 72

@RoboticBot wrote:

What file types of video will the XZ-P accept if I upload a movie to the phone?  And will that movie play in Album, or other app?

And would I be able to somehow remotely control my slide show from another mobile device or other control (to advance to next image, etc. for photos - or to stop, start, fast forward, etc. for video?)

Sony Album support most video formats. Since 4K playback in the Xperia XZ Premium support most 3rd party video players you can always install 3rd party players in case one of your videos does not play in Album. So the short answer is: yes, you will be able to play basically any video format in 4K. 

When it comes to controlling your slide shows remotely, you can for instance connect a bluetooth mouse to the device. There are probably other ways to do this as well. Do you have any other tips on this @viridis ?  

Message 19 of 72
Message 19 of 72

There's possibly a remote control app too for smart wear devices. As well as some album / slideshow apps having time settings for images.

I know Dualshock 4 controller will also work for ui and album control so that's an option. Sony tablets will also remote display the ui through mirracast but not sure on the control aspect of gallery slideshow.

Sorry I can't add more to this @Bjorn_O as I don't yet have XZ Premium nor a SmartWatch to check.

Apprentice
Message 20 of 72
Message 20 of 72

@Bjorn_O wrote:

Can you suggest other apps where 4K should be active?

I'm one of the developers of the "CAVU FPV" app.

Basically it allows to fly DJI drones using an Android smartphone and cheap VR goggles.

See http://fpv.whaale.com for details.

This is a cheap alternative to the "dji goggles" that were announced recently.

The only disadvantage (at the moment) is the maximal resolution of Android smartphones of 2560*1440 pixels, which gives you 1280*1440 pixels per eye.

The dji goggles have 1920*1080 per eye.

If it would be possible to use 4k resolution for our app on the XZ devices, this would allow double the resolution of the dji goggles = 1920*2160 pixels per eye = GREAT!

--> a lot of our customers would buy an XZ Premium instead of the dji goggles...

When I set the Xperia Z5 Premium to 4K mode as described here at https://forum.xda-developers.com/z5-premium/general/changing-resolution-default-to-2k-root-t3282319

the app already works fine...