account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

When Can XZ Premium Use Full 4K Resolution?

Inhabitant
Message 1 of 74
Message 1 of 74

When Can XZ Premium Use Full 4K Resolution?

When Can Xperia XZ Premium Use Full 4K Screeen Resolution - To Display Photos / Gallery?

Some advanced reviews of the new Xperia XZ Premium (5.5 inch 4K screeen) state that it will only use the 4K resolution when playing 4K videos in YouTube.  Also, that it reverts to regular Full HD to show photos and all other videos.
I really need a phone that can display the full 4K resolution for photos I place in the gallery, or photo app slide show, etc..  And if I can use the full HDR brightness and tonal range, that would be best.
Will the XZ Premium have apps that I can use to display photos at the full 4K resolution, or will it be limited to YouTube and Netflix 4K videos only?
I understand that I may need to upload photos in a certain format or size in order to have the phone display in full 4K, and that is no problem.  But is there a way to upload my photos to the phone and have them display in full 4K?  And if they have a wide tonal range, would these still pictures use the full range (the HDR range) of the display?  Or can they be rewritten to do so and then uploaded, as jpgs or whatever format allows it?
PS: Would it speed up operation to size each picture to the exact size of the XZ Premium's 4K resolution (I would size to 2,160 x 3,840 pixels if it helps).
Thanks!

73 REPLIES 73
Enthusiast
Message 2 of 74
Message 2 of 74

Re: When Can XZ Premium Use Full 4K Resolution?

It must be like Xperia Z5 Premium 

When you enter to the sony album and video app it means when you want to see pictures and movies your resolution upgrade to 4K.

Inhabitant
Message 3 of 74
Message 3 of 74

Thanks for your answer!  I hope the XZ Prem. gives a bit more control to the user, since the 4K screen is the THE big reason for the XZ-P being in its top class.
Thanks again!

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Developer
Message 4 of 74
Message 4 of 74

Hi!
On Xperia XZ Premium the Xperia Album app will render in 4K resolution (2160x3840). This is not the case for other album apps such as Google Photos.
If you play a video in full-screen mode (think, landscape mode) it also uses 4K. This is true regardless if you use Xperia Album or YouTube and true for many 3rd party video players as well.
For other use cases, full HD resolution is used.

@RoboticBot: You mention that you want more control over when the display uses 4K. Control can be useful sometimes, but many users appreciates automation. Can you elaborate some more on why you want more settings? Do you have some examples other than battery save? Can you suggest other apps where 4K should be active?

Message 5 of 74
Message 5 of 74

@Bjorn_O wrote:

If you play a video in full-screen mode (think, landscape mode) it also uses 4K. This is true regardless if you use Xperia Album or YouTube and true for many 3rd party video players as well.

This is brilliant news, means XZ Premium is ready for when streaming services go mobile with 4k.

Brilliant to see YouTube compatibility in the device. 

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Sony Xperia Developer
Message 6 of 74
Message 6 of 74

@azzido There is more information regarding Xperia XZPs 4K resolution in this thread. Please continue your discussion regarding manual control of the 4K resolution in this thread.

As I told @RoboticBot, Control can be useful sometimes, but many users appreciates automation. Can you elaborate some more on why you want more settings? Do you have some examples other than battery save? Can you suggest other apps where 4K should be active?

Inhabitant
Message 7 of 74
Message 7 of 74

Bjorn,

Thanks for your help!
Here is the background for the question:
I need to upload photographs I've taken (using Sony Alpha cameras) to display in highest resolution to show my photographic work when 'on the road.' I've not had a Sony phone previously, but the 4K resolution (and the fact that I'm using 3 Sony Alpha cameras in my work) have encouraged me to look into using the XZ Premium to show my work out on location.
But since I'm totally unfamiliar with the Apps that the XZ Prem. uses to show photos, I want to be sure that I can use the Album app or a Video app to effectively to do this - and in 4K.

Here's a bit more info - I may use a VR type viewer (like Google Cardboard, but much improved optics and enclosure) to help view the photographs on the phone, so the 4K resolution would be very important.  These VR viewers divide the picture in half, and it halves the resolution - so 4K is needed to still have a high resolution for each eye.  I've tried doing the above using some of the recent Samsung and LG phones, and they already look great, but the Sony at 4K would likely look incredible. And with a VR viewer attached, I may need a separate app to be able to select the photos (go forward / reverse in order, etc.).  So if other apps could also be used in 4K, I'd know I can use it this way if needed.

I do like automated features, but almost always find that, if I can turn off the automation - even at the expense of faster battery consumption - I always prefer having that possibilty.  Example: I always like to manually control my screen brightness, because it is never 'quite right,' for the situation. "Automatic" always sets it to a 'reasonable' brightness, and probably saves battery power, but I need to be able to set brightness to the perfect setting for my own needs.  If 4K consumes much more power, I'd still like to be able to decide when it's worth the trade-off.  And if it is that it may become too hot, then a warning would be needed, or a temporary shut off to protect the phone.

If you are still reading, I'll ask one further thing: Is the XZ Prem.'s display likely to have much 'burn-in,' similar to the older Samsung OLED's?

Sorry if I gave you too much information, but wanted to be more clear.
Thanks for your assistance, and I'm hopeful the XZ P will be the perfect phone for my needs!
- Randall
@RoboticBot

Inhabitant
Message 8 of 74
Message 8 of 74

Bjorn,

One last thing to clarify, please:

Could I upload my own photos (from a Sony Alpha camera, for example), and display them using the XZ Premium's "Album" app without any difficulty?  And what files would the XZ-P's Album app display?  (image files like: jpg, psd, pdf, etc.?)
I just want to be certain that the Album app can display photos from other devices - photos that are not made on the XZ-P phone.

Message 9 of 74
Message 9 of 74

@RoboticBot wrote:

Bjorn,

One last thing to clarify, please:

Could I upload my own photos (from a Sony Alpha camera, for example), and display them using the XZ Premium's "Album" app without any difficulty?  And what files would the XZ-P's Album app display?  (image files like: jpg, psd, pdf, etc.?)
I just want to be certain that the Album app can display photos from other devices - photos that are not made on the XZ-P phone.

As well as jpg files, png, I know for a fact that latest album builds display DNG RAW files too.

I'll test others but pdf I think will only go through pdf reader apps and psd is a layered document for use in photoshop? But I'll check it.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.

Message 10 of 74
Message 10 of 74

Psd did not work.