account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Unble to Detect OTG Pendrive

SOLVED
Visitor
Message 1 of 17
Message 1 of 17

Unble to Detect OTG Pendrive

I recently bought a Sandisk Ultra Dual Drive USB Type C to use as an OTG pendrive with my phone but the phone was unable to detect any device connected to it. Anyone here has any idea whether the Xperia XZ is OTG enabled? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Sony Xperia Developer
Message 2 of 17
Message 2 of 17

Re: Unble to Detect OTG Pendrive

Hi @Syam91, I haven't tried it myself but this should work just as with the other recent devices. Check this link for XZ instructions. https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-XZ/Does-Xperia-XZ-support-OTG/m-p/1228708#M8365

Did you already try the manual detect step? Please let us know how it worked out.

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Sony Xperia Developer
Message 2 of 17
Message 2 of 17

Hi @Syam91, I haven't tried it myself but this should work just as with the other recent devices. Check this link for XZ instructions. https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-XZ/Does-Xperia-XZ-support-OTG/m-p/1228708#M8365

Did you already try the manual detect step? Please let us know how it worked out.

Visitor
Message 3 of 17
Message 3 of 17

I can finally use it after manually trying to detect the OTG pendrive. Thank you for your help.

Inhabitant
Message 4 of 17
Message 4 of 17

Why XZ Premium can't automatically detect/launch USB external devices when connected?

I want to know the reason why can't XZ Premium detect external devices like flash drive or OTG dongle enable automatically when connected? Is it Sony's built in security features or power saving mode preventing detection? How to circumvent rebooting my device to enable auto detection when a dongle connected throught USB port? Thx.

Message 5 of 17
Message 5 of 17

Re: Why XZ Premium can't automatically detect/launch USB external devices when connected?

@wilson638 wrote:

I want to know the reason why can't XZ Premium detect external devices like flash drive or OTG dongle enable automatically when connected? Is it Sony's built in security features or power saving mode preventing detection? How to circumvent rebooting my device to enable auto detection when a dongle connected throught USB port? Thx.

Because in order to do that, the usb connecter would need to be "live" with a very small amount of electricity running through it to detect when a connection is made.

If the device was wet at this time of having voltage running in it, oxidisation would begin and very soon we'd all have crispy green ports lol. 

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Inhabitant
Message 6 of 17
Message 6 of 17

Re: Why XZ Premium can't automatically detect/launch USB external devices when connected?

Thank you sir for the explanation, does this mean all current devices today with IP68 water/dust resistant employ this same method to avoid oxidisation or electrical shortage of the USB port? This seems to make sense since all my other non IP67/68 devices can automatically detect & launch OTG dongle enabling devices, the XZ Premium is my first smartphone with IP68 certification so I am totally ignorant of this specific feature & differences between non IP68 certified devices. Thx for the insightful information, cheers.

Message 7 of 17
Message 7 of 17

The previous Xperia usb port (until Z3+) had a port cover so would auto detect.

Since the capless ports have been used, they use this method to control it.

Not sure on other manufacturers to be perfectly honest.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.

Learner
Message 8 of 17
Message 8 of 17

OTG Pendrive how do I connect a pendrive via otg to my premium xz?

En otras marcas de telefono conectaba mi memoria pendrive y podia revisar su contenido y tambien visualizar videos y fotos del pendrive, tambien transferir archivos desde o para mi telefono ; y en este telefono premium no.

Se puede? indiquen como puedo hacer,

Translation via Google translate:
In other brands of phone connected my memory pendrive and could review their content and also view videos and photos of the pendrive, also transfer files from or to my phone; And on this premium phone no.
It can? Indicate how I can do,

Rookie
Message 9 of 17
Message 9 of 17

XZ Premium OTG Issue

My XZ Premium doesn't detect any USB OTG which is easily detected by my other Samsung and LG Android phones. Send to repair twice clearly explaining the issue. But phoe returned without carrying out any repair stating all their tests passed. Any help/suggestions? 

Message 10 of 17
Message 10 of 17

Re: XZ Premium OTG Issue

Did you press "detect USB device" from the quick launch menu?