account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium freezes after 15 minutes of 1080p video

Highlighted
Learner
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

Sony Xperia XZ Premium freezes after 15 minutes of 1080p video

No problems with this phone for a year, until yesterday. I was at a fair and not paying much attention to the phone other than taking pictures and videos. Once i got an error message "SD Card Unavailable". Could not use the camera anymore but everything else worked. I figured I hadn't restarted in a while, so I did. After recording many short videos of a concert it started to freeze up again. This time it was completely unresponsive so I reset it by holding power until it shut down.Then I started recording video of fireworks. It happened again after 16 minutes. The phone was totally unresponsive and did not even save the video. After some testing today, I determined it happens consistantly after 16 minutes, with or without a case, outside or inside (air-conditioned). The back is very warm afterwards, so I assume it is overheating. If i wait a while I get other messages like "System UI not responding" but cannot close it. I am considering a factory reset, but I am concerned it is a hardware defect. I don't recall recording any 15+ minute videos in the past, so the issue may always have been present. If anyone has ideas, please let me know. Otherwise I am probably performing the reset in a few hours, once I am sure everything important is backed up.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

Re: Sony Xperia XZ Premium freezes after 15 minutes of 1080p video

@bradye21 are you saving the recordings to the SD card or internal storage? you can double check that by launching camera and tapping the cogwheel icon, then choosing More > Data storage.

Learner
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

Recording to SD. Specifically MicroSDXC, class 10, 128 GB. I have seen the warnings the app gives, but never had issues before.

Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

@bradye21 it could be your SD card acting up. try setting recording to internal storage and see if the same thing is happening .

Learner
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

After doing a factory reset, I recorded a 21 minute video on Internal Storage with no issue, and the phone was not noticably warm. Then I recorded a video to the SD card, which froze after 16 minutes and the phone was really warm. For whatever reason recording to SD overheats the phone. Worth noting this is 1080p *at 60fps*.

So, I guess I just need to switch to internal if I intend to record a lot of video. Then immediately move it over to PC when I get home.

The plus side of doing a reset: I have a lot more space and the phone runs blazing fast! It's like getting a new phone. I highly recommend doing it. I am only downloading apps that I really want and will use all the time.