account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Sony - PLEASE Unlock the MHL or USB-C to HDMI capability of the XZ Premium

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 1 of 15
Message 1 of 15

I had expected that the USB-C port would allow the adapting of the video signal to HDMI, as almost every other current phone allows, especially since the XZ Premium has such state of the art video capabilities otherwise.  At a minimum, an MHL adapter would allow a usable HDMI signal.

After a great deal of searching, I find that Sony has "handicapped" their premier phone offering - you can only WIRELESS-stream the video signal.  I have tried this method, and the resulting picture is HORRIBLE / UNUSABLE!  The contrast and resolution take a tremendous hit, and the picture becomes nothing but video lines - totally unwatchable and pathetic for a high-end phone.

This is apparently a common theme with Sony products - even their top of the line models.  They have incredible features that could be implemented,  but they do not "turn them on" for the user.  And to do this in their most expensive offering is insulting to the users (especially the early adopters of the phones like yours truly).  

Sony - take a look at the features your competitors are offering.  You can't seriously think that potential customers don't look at these features and note that they are there in the phone, but willfully leave them TURNED OFF.

All of the features below could simply be turned on by an update!:
>The fingerprint scanner is there, but not implemented.

>The FM radio is there, but not implemented.

>And the superior "physical connection" Video Output is there, but not implemented.

>There are more, I am certain.

Sony - please give us these features that in truth we have paid for.  This would cost you nothing, but implementing these features would show that you care about your users. 
(Do you care at all? Then proove it, please!)

I love your products, but you are continuously cheating your customers unnecessarily.

Sincerely,

Randall Owens
XZ Premium Owner

14 REPLIES 14
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 15
Message 2 of 15

Re: Sony - PLEASE Unlock the MHL or USB-C to HDMI capability of the XZ Premium

Even Other OEMs have removed MHL connections on their devices. as far as I know this was removed to promeote wireless connections to promote products like google chrome cast

________________________________________________________________________________
The Man! The Myth! The Forum Legend! -Scott Sterling
One time poster
Message 3 of 15
Message 3 of 15

I want to use my phone with my Pioneer AVH 4200NEX radio over mhl. So I guess that there is no chance to make it working ....

Talent
Message 4 of 15
Message 4 of 15

IT can be done,  all the hardware is there, sony just disabled it software!

Please enable it!

I really need my phone as a video player on my TV!! 

One time poster
Message 5 of 15
Message 5 of 15

Yes, we need this, you can play movies an other things, I need to use my phone to 100% no like the Iphone  that have locked his hadware.

@Keindel

I've edited your post, mind the language 

Talent
Message 6 of 15
Message 6 of 15

Up !! ! 🤗 

Talent
Message 7 of 15
Message 7 of 15

sony far behind samsung now. i used to like Sony phones, but not anymore. waiting for  Samsung s9. good luck sony. hope your  engineers will  wake up  one day. 

Regular
Message 8 of 15
Message 8 of 15

I used to have a perfect picture on screen mirroring but for no reason I can think of the picture quality started getting worse and worse. I have messed with the modem settings and run first time set up on the TV at least 3 times. Incredibly frustrating as EE in the uK offer free access to bt sport in one of their pay monthly packages for the xz premium. No one actually wants to watch football on a tiny screen however. The fact that we can't hard wire through hdmi is totally ridiculous. I can charge my phone through my TV with a USB cable however. (now that's functionality everyone needs). Shouldnt be surprised however with Sony's track record of restricting progress on their products. 

Message 9 of 15
Message 9 of 15

A solution has been found in the form of a MICRO USB TO VGA/HDMI video adapter  Connected to a micro USB to type c adapter completing the connection to the phone

The video adapter model number K2P81AA on Amazon

One time poster
Message 10 of 15
Message 10 of 15

UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!