account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Screen Flicker

Apprentice
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

Screen Flicker

My screen flickers really badly intermittently.

It doesn't matter what display settings i manipulate. I have tried with adaptive brightness on/off. Tried with all 3 display engines, and tried on different brightness levels. It happens on all of them. 

The only fix i have found is to restart my phone. 

Now i work in a mobile phone shop (not saying which one) and sell phones for a living. There is nothing more embarrasing then telling someone how great the XZ premium is, but not wanting to show them mine because it is flickering, or is really really hot.

I have already had a fault exchange on this product twice, and nothing seems to work as advertised.

Predictive capture doesn't exist. I know 3 people personally who own this phone, and hundereds of customers, and not a single one has ever seen the predictive capture working. 

The keyboard lags terribly when the battery is <20%.

My fingerprint scanner works/doesn't work intermittently. 

My battery life also has dropped off the face of a cliff, it used to last me 1 1/2 days when i first purchased the device. Now i am having to charge my phone at least twice a day.

it CAN NOT download at anything close to 1GB per second. I have had it hooked up to fibre optic broadband, where my Samsung Tab was recieving 100MPS, and my computer was recieving around 400MPS, but my phone was recieving 70MPS. I have tried this on multiple wi-fi's and nothing makes it better.

The heat this device generates when it is playing a video is absolutely crazy. And dont be telling me its bound to if i have it on full brightness. The point of buying a £600 phone with a massive screen and 4k playback is to watch films and football on my phone. When i watch a football match, i turn the phone off at half time to stop it from exploding. 

I am very unhappy with this, and am even more pissed they are bringing out new devices without getting the devices they already have working properly. 

Why would i invest £600+ again if i keep getting let down by sony?

I had the z3 (**bleep**e) went to a samsung A5 (good), went back to a sony Z5 (brilliant, but never worked properly), tried the OnePlus 3t (amazing) & finally was convinced by a Sony Rep visiting my store to buy the XZ premium. what a mistake.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: Screen Flicker

I really don't know what to say. I have none of the issues you list here...none. I bought mine with a pre-order from the UK. I live in the US. About the only thing I can relate to is the fingerprint scanner being a little flaky at times...but that is all. And maybe the predictive capture that I do not care about anyway.

However, I will say that I see the same type of complaints on EVERY forum for EVERY phone in existence! There is always a few people who have nothing but constant trouble with their phones no matter the brand! And then there are those who have nothing but praise for the exact same phones.

Assuming that they all have the same software (maybe) then that leaves hardware. The various parts that make up these things are manufactured in various factories around the world, and assembled in other various factories around the world. Obviously some of these are going to be lemons and they may show up in rather large batches. I guess mine came in a good batch???

You have a few choices...swap it for another one, sell it and try to recoup your losses, put it out of its misery with a hammer, or live with it until you can afford to buy something else. The problem with all of these choices is that whatever you buy, no matter who makes it, may have the very same issues. It's the sad reality of an industry that is more intent on selling you a new phone for more $$$$ than it is in customer satisfaction.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

Hi @Jakeuk93, Welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear about this Slightly frowning Face 

Most of the issues you have described can often be resolved by performing a software repair using Xperia Companion.

The issue where your performance drops at 20% battery however, is likely Stamina Mode activating. It reduces the performance of your handset in order to conserve power. You can adjust or disable this under Settings > Battery.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Adept
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

I haven't had any issues you are facing. The predictive capture works as it should.

Apprentice
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

Brilliant. Thanks for your very useless replies basically telling me all your phones work and I should just accept a product not working as desired.

Thanks.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

I am sorry you are frustrated by this @Jakeuk93, I understand it is annoying. 

Have you tried the software repair using Xperia Companion that I recommended?

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Visitor
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

I have only problem with display flickr from time to time. It's happening two time per week, nothing more. I also watch football under cable provider, using this phone but nothing with heat issue (under the LTE and LTE+ signal). I did't experiance any heat issue from first day I bought phone. Also battery is working fine from 1st day, one and a half day of normal use.

Hope they will figure out what is happening with our devices and find solution for it.

Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

the "flickering" you're experiencing might be caused by Qualcomm's Assertive Display. it's meant to change the display's contrast in order to increase visibility in direct sunlight https://www.qualcomm.com/news/onq/2015/02/20/assertive-display-power-efficient-technology-thats-easy...