account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

SONY XPERIA XZ PREMIUM CHARGING

Visitor
Message 1 of 11
Message 1 of 11

SONY XPERIA XZ PREMIUM CHARGING

Following the software update to Oreo 8 - my XZ Premium will only intermitently accept charge.  My son has had the same issue and his has now stopped charging entirely.  In general mine accepts the charge for a few seconds (red light) and then stops.  Occasionally it will fully charge - but not reliably and increasingly less frequently.  it will only charge from the mains - using a portable battery is hopeless.  When I first had the phone (circa 6 months) it would charge from the battery in just over an hour.

This issue has only happened following the software udpated about a month ago - before that it was fine.

I have tried

- different cables; different plugs - no difference

- soft (short and long) reset - no improvement

- Using Sony Companion to repair the software - PC won't recognise the phone (two PC's; several cables)

- removing any recently installed apps - no difference

I see that this issue is a relatively common issue for Sony - but have found no solution on forums etc that works - HLEP!!!  TIA

10 REPLIES 10
Emperor
Message 2 of 11
Message 2 of 11

Re: SONY XPERIA XZ PREMIUM CHARGING

@arememma

I'm sorry to hear about the issue but this is not a common issue, you have done everything on your part, you should now contact your Local support to get it inspected/repaired 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Visitor
Message 3 of 11
Message 3 of 11

thanks Uliwooly - trying very hard to avoid that if I can.  I have found many posts from people suffering similarly over the last few years - but no solutions that work for me.  Was hoping I may find a new idea!  It just seems a huge co-incidence that both my son's phone and mine (same model; same age) have done the same thing that the same time - it must be software?  I did manage in the end to link to Xperia companion and repair my software (basically re-install and reload data from backup) but it doesn't appear to have solved the issue.

Will get in touch with Sony - but any ideas on here would be great.  thank you  Slightly smiling Face

Pioneer
Message 4 of 11
Message 4 of 11

You could also Check your USB Port in the Phone. IT could be possible, that There is to much dirt Blocking the cable.

Highlighted
Regular
Message 5 of 11
Message 5 of 11

I experience this issue and able to replicate it. 

The first time i encountered this problem is when i used my friends's huawei fast charge brick and cable. The first few seconds it shows charging but after that it cancels out the charge.

After reaching office, using the original sony plug and cable able to charge properly. Used my anker powerbank and anker cable also no issue.

What i suspect maybe is the fast charger plug you're using is above 2A

Inhabitant
Message 6 of 11
Message 6 of 11

I have the same problem but for now its only samsung's adaptive quick charge brick.

Rookie
Message 7 of 11
Message 7 of 11

my phone has had a simillar issue several times. They keep swapping it for different handsets but same model and this keeps happening. On one occassion they sent me a handset that only charged upto 40%. 

We should start a campaign letting people know about this issue. I am in the UK and sony has the most disgusting customer service ever. They have no centre to go to. How can someone honestly experience the same problem 8 times with no solution from the escalation team who are disguistingly rude and unhelfull.

Please do not bother with this phone just get a nother make. I have come across hundreds of reviews experiencing the same issue. All you will get from this forum is "contact yor local center" Thats all they ever advise if our lucky not to be asked to update your software.

Time wasters. i WILL NEVER USE ANYTHING SONY.

One time poster
Message 8 of 11
Message 8 of 11

Couldn't agree more. Sony UK is a terrible service. I have the same charging problem with my XZ PREMIUM.  

After posting it to Sony, they gave me a quote for almost £500 to repair it! Before that, I thought it was the battery or charging socket, which I had replaced through a local repair shop. Just to save the hassle of sending it to Sony. They said the warranty is invalid because it had been opened. The fault was found to be something else, and Sony refused to fix under the warranty. 

I tried to reason with Sony through email, to no avail. 

I used to buy the top Sony phone every year, but not any more I won't. After the lack of support I received from Sony, I’m moving to Samsung.

One time poster
Message 9 of 11
Message 9 of 11

I'm having the same issue. Mine started a few days ago. No resolution as of yet

Pioneer
Message 10 of 11
Message 10 of 11

@arememma

When your phone is not recognised try point 2B in the second post of the FAQ about software repair.

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't