account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Remove NFC icon in status bar?

SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Message 1 of 14

Remove NFC icon in status bar?

My Z5p (Canadian version) did not have the NFC logo in the status bar, but my XZp (HK version, I think) has it with no way to turn it off. I do need NFC on for Android Pay, so turning it off is not an option. Is there a way to get rid of the icon without rooting?

Itried Nova launcher and removed the status bar on the homescreen, but I prefer the stock launcher and even with Nova, the status bar comesback when opening an app. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Visitor
Message 11 of 14
Message 11 of 14

Re: Remove NFC icon in status bar?

1. Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options (to enable, About Phone > *tap Build Number a bunch of times*)

2. Download and follow this guide on a computer:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2317790

3. Once you have ADB working, download System UI Tuner https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zacharee1.systemuituner

4. Open the app and follow the steps to allow it access (it's going to have you type some commands in)

5. Once completed, in the app, pull the navigation drawer out and press Status Bar > NFC Icon

As for uninstalling, it does not remove what you did. You'll need to revert the changes in the app before you install.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Message 2 of 14

pull down the status bar and then tap and hold the setting icon (the little cogwheel) until you feel a slight vibration. then go to Settings and scroll down to the very bottom, where an entry called System UI Tuner should appear. go to System UI Tuner > Status bar and see if there's a toggle called "NFC". if there is one, toggle it off.
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 14
Message 3 of 14

Hmm it's weird because in my version I can't turn on the icon, it's never visible on status bar whether NFC is turned on or off. I have dual SIM version.

Message 4 of 14
Message 4 of 14

perhaps it's a difference in the software's region, the same way in some regions the phone displays a 4G icon, and in other shows LTE. flashing a software from another region would then solve it, but one would have to find out if that's indeed what's the factor
Message 5 of 14
Message 5 of 14

Thanks for the help, but unfortunately, I don't have thw NFC option in the system UI tuner. I've attached screenshots to show this. Is there any other way to remove this hideous icon?

Screenshot_20170703-144505.png

Screenshot_20170703-144511.png

Message 6 of 14
Message 6 of 14

I have a dual sim version as well, likely from Hong Kong, but I'm not sure as I bought it at a reseller in Canada. My Z5p which was actually a Canadian version from Bell did not have the NFC icon.

Where did you purchase your phone/which variant of software is on it? I'm afraid of flashing other versions though as I did that on my Z5p to get Nougat earlier and it lost several of the LTE bands and the cell signal was severely diminished.

Message 7 of 14
Message 7 of 14

I can't think of any other way, sorry.

Regular
Message 8 of 14
Message 8 of 14

Very sure you can't without rooting the device. The only real option is add the NFC toggle switch to the pull down menu and just turn it on when you want to use it. 

Visitor
Message 9 of 14
Message 9 of 14

You can remove the NFC icon via ADB using this app: 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zacharee1.systemuituner

I've done it on mine. 

Message 10 of 14
Message 10 of 14

@cweaver34 wrote:

You can remove the NFC icon via ADB using this app: 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zacharee1.systemuituner

I've done it on mine. 

Can you provide details as to how you did it? I would really appreciate it. Also, if you delete that app from your phone, does the NFC icon return?

Thanks in advance.