account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Picture in picture mode

Learner
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

Picture in picture mode

How do you activate picture in picture mode on the xz premium? 

8 REPLIES 8
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

Re: Picture in picture mode

Hi @Anonymous99,

I will request information to how to enable this feature in Android 8. I will keep you posted when I know more.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

First of all, picture in picture mode works only with apps that support it. To get info which app support it, go to settings -> Apps and notifications -> advanced -> special access -> picture in picture (please note that some of the mentioned options might be called different, I'm translating this from my native language). If you have trouble go to settings, click on the search button (top right corner) and enter picture, you should get there.

This is the list of apps that I know that support PiP:
-Chrome

-Duo

-Google Play Movies

-Maps

-Netflix

-Google Play Services

-YouTube (for Youtube RED subscribers only, that's quite a shame)

To test picture in picture mode, open Chrome browser, go to vimeo.com/231673397 (or any video, it doesn't matter), press play and then press the home button, the window should minimize and you can move it around the screen. This should work with any videos on webpages, exception is YouTube as google is limiting PiP for YouTube Red Subscribers...

Learner
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

Thanks

Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

As @admad has already mentioned in this thread, in order to launch the Picture-in-Picture mode, there are different methods for different applications.

How to launch the Picture-in-Picture mode

• Google Chrome: Start a video in full screen mode, then tap the Home button.
  • YouTube: Subscribe to YouTube Red, YouTube’s premium ad-free service. Start a video, then tap the Home button. Note! YouTube Red is not available in every country.
  • VLC Media Player: Start a video, then tap the menu (three horizontal dots) > tap the Picture-in-Picture icon. Note! Make sure your VLC application has the latest update.
  • Google Maps: Plan a route and start a navigation. Then tap the Home button.

How to use the Picture-in-Picture mode

Tap on the picture-in-picture window to display the playback control icons play, fast forward, and rewind buttons, and a center button that maximises the app. To hide the playback controls, tap on the window. The picture-in-picture window is movable. Tap, hold, and drag to move it to any part of your phone or tablet’s screen, and lift your finger to release it. If you let go somewhere in the middle, the window snaps to the closest valid location. To close the Picture-in-Picture window, tap, hold, and drag it to the bottom of the screen.

How to disable Android 8.0 Oreo’s picture-in-picture mode for specific apps

1. In Settings, tap Apps & Notifications > Advanced.
  2. Tap Special Access, then find and tap Picture-in-Picture.
  3. In the list of applications, tap the application that you want to disable Picture-in-Picture for.
  4. To disable Picture-in-Picture, tap the slider beside Allow picture-in-picture to the Off setting.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Visitor
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

Picture in picture no funciona!!!

Actualice a oreo y no funciona el picture in picture lo e activado en ajuste en Youtube en Google Maps wuasap y nada qe tengo que hacer???

Update to oreo and the picture in picture does not work and I activated it in Youtube setting in Google Maps wuasap and nothing I have to do ???

-GT

Inhabitant
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

Re: Picture in picture no funciona!!!

Not many apps support PIP so that's why it doesn't work. And regarding youtube, you need a Youtube Red subscription for it to work.

Visitor
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

Hay pocas de acuerdo,pero las pocas que hay no funciona ninguna,ni Google Maps, porque???

There are few agree, but the few that there is none, or Google Maps, because ???

GT

Highlighted
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

@yosoyelfunk PIP mode in Google Maps only works when you're using the Maps' navigation feature.