account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

No speaker or volume unless phone is twisted - Xperia XZ Premium

Visitor
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

No speaker or volume unless phone is twisted - Xperia XZ Premium

Hi, 

I have an Xperia XZ Premium purchased in December 2017

The phone has never been dropped, has always had a Spigen case and screen protector, and is in pristine cosmetic condition. 

A few months ago the volume up button stopped working. After researching I put this down to a software issue after updating Android and waited for the next patch to fix it. This never happened. 

A couple of weeks ago the right speaker of my phone stopped working. This is particularly inconvenient as it is the speaker used for hands free and video calling. 

When listening to music recently I discovered that by bracing both ends of the phone and applying a light pressure to the back of the phone in the centre, the right hand speaker starts working. A slight twist and the volume up works. 

I reiterate that the phone is straight as an arrow, not bent or twisted in the body, and it has never been dropped. 

How do I fix this? 

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Re: No speaker or volume unless phone is twisted - Xperia XZ Premium

Hi @SQD13Y, I am very sorry to hear about this.

Have you been able to carry out a test on the volume key and the speakers in the support app in order to see whether the hardware functions are working as intended? In order to do this, Find and tap Settings > Support > Xperia Tests > Volume-up key/Media.

As there is no way to adjust the functionality of the speakers or the volume keys in the phone using the settings in the phone, my suggestion would be to get in contact with your local support team in order to have your phone sent to a service center to be examined and repaired. If you have any questions regarding the service, such as routines, warranty and consumer laws, these type of questions are best answered by your local support team as well, as they vary between markets.

Let me know how it goes and feel free to return if you have further questions.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Visitor
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

Thankyou for your response.

I have tested the functionality of the volume button and the speed aker using the Xperia Service App which confirms my diagnosis.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

Thank you @SQD13Y for your quick response.

In that case I am afraid that the only thing left to do is to get in contact with your local support team in order to have your phone sent to an authorized service center.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Learner
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

Good day,

I have the exact diagnosis. Did you take the phone to a support centre? And were they able to assist? Based on the number of recurring complaints, I don't think this could be a hardware issue, must be to do with software. I find that if I just apply slight pressure on the light sensor, it also fixes the speaker issue. 

Sony is yet to resolve this problem. Doing a factory reset solves the problem temporarily, but then it returns. Very annoying

Perhaps it would be solved with android Q? 

One time poster
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

I have exactly the same issue but mine also has issues with the power and fingerprint sensor. Giving it the odd twist like you said makes it work for a while but its an absolute farce that sony just ignore its customers and does not fix the issue. Ive been a loyal sony owner for over 10 years now and always get some form of fault. I had a Z5 premium that had proximity sensor issues but if you applied pressure to the back of the phone it worked fine. Sony when will you stop with these novice errors 🙈