account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My sound button will not work

One time poster
Message 1 of 19
Message 1 of 19

My sound button will not work

For some reason, my up sound button will not work at all. It is clearly being pressed and the down button works fine. I've tried restarting my phone and updating it but no luck. Has anyone else encountered this problem and if so, managed to solve it? 

18 REPLIES
Message 2 of 19
Message 2 of 19

Re: My sound button will not work

@Ads30 does the button work if you restart the phone in safe mode?

Message 3 of 19
Message 3 of 19

The volume up no longer works after update to Orio

Hi, 

Following the update to Orio my volume up button stared to periodically stop working. It now no longer woeks at all [volume down works fine]. I've tried booting into safe mode, which makes no difference, as well as doing a full reset without restoring any apps [so that the system is clean] and this hasn't helped either.

I know that there have been issues with buttons not working after Orio, but this seems oddly specific. It's also very annoying as I can't turn up the volume on an ongoing call anymore. 

Please help!

Do I need to send off my phone for repair? I rely on my phone and can't function without it so if that's at all avoidable I'd like to avoid it.

Thank you in advance 

Barry Robinson 

Message 4 of 19
Message 4 of 19

Hi, 

Can someone please get back to me with a status on this?

While it's not impossible that this is a hardware failure, the fact that it's happening to someone else makes it unlikely!

Barry Robinson 

Message 5 of 19
Message 5 of 19

@Barrywrobinsongo to Settings > Accessibility > Accessibility shortcut and switch the toggle to Off, if it's enabled.

Message 6 of 19
Message 6 of 19

Didn't work! The volume button still only works in one direction.

Am I gong to have to send this thing in for repair? I can't deal with that right now.

Message 7 of 19
Message 7 of 19

@Barrywrobinson hmmm... what if you go to Accessibility settings again and make sure that all accessibility services and settings (Select to Speak, TalkBack, Switch Access and so on) are disabled? I'm asking because I vaguely recollect someone mention having a similar problem with the volume button and fixing it by disabling some accessibility settings.

Message 8 of 19
Message 8 of 19

Hi, 

I've checked all the accessibility settings and everything is turned off. I can see how it could affect it, but that's not the case here unfortunately. 

I'm debating weather or not this could simply be a hardware failure. The fact that it happened imeadiatley after upgrading to Orio is a little suspicious, the fact that I'm not the only person is slightly more so, but it doesn't rule out the possibility altogether. It could be a hardware failure! I'm hoping, however, that it's not. 

Barry 

Message 9 of 19
Message 9 of 19

Hi, 

The volume up  button on my Xperia XZ Premium has started working twice since I last posted on this forum, and both times where immediately after I'd connected to a Bluetooth source. It functions flawlessly for a a short amount of time, then stops working.

Can someone please find out why this is happening. I've tried littraly everything I can think of including doing a full reset with only stock apps [no restore of anything I've downloaded or settings I've adjusted] and nothing has helped.

I really don't want to be without my phone as I absolutely rely on it. I'm bipolar and it's littraly a lifeline for me as it's the only phone I have [I don't have a landline].

Please, is there anything that can be done to sort this out?

Thanks in advance for the help

Barry 

Message 10 of 19
Message 10 of 19

It's sudenly startes working again, and there's no judder or lag that you'd expect from some kind of damage or physical failure. When it's working it seems to work flawlessly. It is feasibly possible that this is a physical problem, but everything, from years of experience as an engineer, suggests that it's not [though obviously I could be wrong]

Thanks again in advance for your help

Barry Robinson