account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

List of problems after updating to Pie

Adviser
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

List of problems after updating to Pie

Recently i have updated to Pie and experience the black screen problem (as stated in the other post), among other problems. Yesterday i came to visit my grandparents, and my aunt is also here. She uses the same phone as mine (with exactly the same software version) and also have the exact same black screen problem. 

However, here are some problems that I have on my phone, but not seen on her phone:

1) my gps doesnt work. I have tested with the "xperia tests" under setting. It can find the satellite, but the satellite couldnt find my location. Same thing in safe mode.

2) speaker quality on my phone is very poor and the volume is low. This is mostly/totally due to the bottom speaker, as people discussed in another post.

3) fingerprint manager and settings all gone on my phone.

Why are these 3 problems happening to my phone and not hers? 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: List of problems after updating to Pie

@khpy1azn wrote:

Recently i have updated to Pie and experience the black screen problem (as stated in the other post), among other problems. Yesterday i came to visit my grandparents, and my aunt is also here. She uses the same phone as mine (with exactly the same software version) and also have the exact same black screen problem. 

However, here are some problems that I have on my phone, but not seen on her phone:

1) my gps doesnt work. I have tested with the "xperia tests" under setting. It can find the satellite, but the satellite couldnt find my location. Same thing in safe mode.

2) speaker quality on my phone is very poor and the volume is low. This is mostly/totally due to the bottom speaker, as people discussed in another post.

3) fingerprint manager and settings all gone on my phone.

Why are these 3 problems happening to my phone and not hers? 

Since like all other people been saying since January.. if it's related to pie update. Can u just try going back to Oreo and check everything working fine in Oreo? For that may b it's better to ask Sony service centre to do it for u so no errors can occur under u.  

I know it's pretty annoying to set all apps again.. but when u hav suitable time to do this, do it and see how it goes.. may b going back to Oreo and upgrade to pie a second time solves everything.. I don't know may b pie upgrade has messed or corrupted some system files or not.. but a 2nd upgrade likely confirm problems. 

If same problems happening in Oreo also then it's hardware or something messed up inside.  Try it and report.. then only we can confirm 100% that pie destroyed everything. 

I also don't know what all changes Sony did with their DRM features or to any changes in their TA partition prior to the pie update which may have been a culprit in creating problems for some of these users..  but at the same time we have xzp phones updated with no problems at all..

When u go back to Oreo , everything will b stock with no 3rd party apps. And it's fresh so u can then try update to pie once more and test..  if same problems again, and if it's me I then settle with Oreo..

Adviser
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

Im not going to reset and set up everything on the phone again....at least not until I get a new phone. See if anyone else is willing to do it (for the speaker problem particularly). 

Edit: mahesh, i just tested my aunt's speakers once again (see the main speaker post). She also has the bottom speaker problem, but it is not obvious when two speakers work together. Mine,however, sounds bad regardless of the situation.

Highlighted
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

@khpy1azn wrote:

Im not going to reset and set up everything on the phone again....at least not until I get a new phone. See if anyone else is willing to do it (for the speaker problem particularly). 

Edit: mahesh, i just tested my aunt's speakers once again (see the main speaker post). She also has the bottom speaker problem, but it is not obvious when two speakers work together. Mine,however, sounds bad regardless of the situation.

I think it might be the issues caused by updating to pie in particular time period or during particular deployment from certain servers. I have a fully working xzp pie , the only difference is after I updated to pie I did factory reset. I do factory reset whenever there is a major android version upgrade so as to start fresh with new android to avoid any problems. 

When u get new phone try installing Oreo in your xzp and update it again to pie and I believe that wil solve all issues cos many of the bugs are fixed in latest builds.. updating from Oreo to latest pie build might solve all the previous issues occured.

I don't know why nobody just try to go to Oreo and test it and report..as sound problem was widely known and instead posts everywhere that pie update was worser than thanos snap. SPOILER ALERT: use a time machine go back to Oreo and see if it can be fixed. 

Adviser
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

I will do factory reset once i get a new phone (hopefully by june). Actually i hate updating phone or pc because it always give me lots of problems. I have already disabled windows update on my pc since years ago. Before this pie update I did last week, I havent update my phone since last year. However...this annoying pop up always come up on my xzp asking me to update (yes, i know ive always ignored them and could have continue to ignore them). Im getting a new phone soon and will give this phone to my mom (rather than her buying a lower-mid range phone). Thats why i decided to update before giving it to her. Who knows it will give me so many problems?

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

GPS under outdoor test  is faster 

Adviser
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

Hello everyone. I have finally gotten a new phone (HUAWEI MATE 20 X). I know Huawei has an uncertain future...but after this mess from sony....im not going to update my phone ever again anyway.

I have finally wiped my XZP completely with Flashtool and install the oreo firmware from 2017.

1) gps still doesnt work, probably hardware problem.

2) speaker volume is now similar between the top and bottom (in fact...the bottom speaker seems louder this time). The bottom speaker still sounds a lot worse than the top (very noticable when you cover each speaker respectively), but in general they are ok together. Somehow, both speakers playing together still sound worse than my aunt's phone (hers on android 9, and the bottom speaker also sounds worse than the top). I got my phone on a pre-order before launch, and she got hers a while later. Maybe this is somewhat hardware related.

3) fingerprint option still missing.... not sure why. It was there when i first got the phone.

Importantly, the black screen problem is gone.

Very happy to move away from sony. Sony has given up on many countries....but the truth is we gave up on sony.

Adviser
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

Just found this post: https://forum.xda-developers.com/xz-premium/help/stereo-speakers-t3657422

It seems like there are some defects to the sony xzp speakers. Mine certainly didnt sound this bad when i first got the phone. It seems that the problem become more obvious after pie update due to the imbalance volume.