account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

IP68. A standard cannot be redefined. The XZP is waterproof - otherwise Sony simply lied.

Enthusiast
Message 31 of 46
Message 31 of 46

Re: IP68. A standard cannot be redefined. The XZP is waterproof - otherwise Sony simply lied.

It also states IP65, that is protection against hose water. So even higher pressure to a certain extend should not be an issue - again, it's certified, isn't it?

Message 32 of 46
Message 32 of 46

Re: IP68. A standard cannot be redefined. The XZP is waterproof - otherwise Sony simply lied.

What @Kunicross stated is also an important factor: the pressure generated by movement under water. I don't think that a normal user can control this factor without a good knowledge of some physics. And this is yet another reason why you should not be using your phone under water. 

Anyways, it's clearly stated that water damage is not covered my warranty (not in any other manufacturer too) so the advice note given by Sony actually goes for your own good. 

Actually, I'm now starting to imagine what would the same complaining users do if this warning was not there and clearly stated by Sony. Want to imagine with me? Winking Face 

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Inhabitant
Message 33 of 46
Message 33 of 46

I took my phone for a hot shower earlier to test it out and now half the lcd doesn't work and camera is fogged on inside. 

Just kidding it was fine. But this happened to me with the S5 Samsung once, the rear never completely sealed because the plastic outer frame always bent easily. 

Message 34 of 46
Message 34 of 46

@SMB92 wrote:

I took my phone for a hot shower earlier to test it out and now half the lcd doesn't work and camera is fogged on inside. 

Just kidding it was fine. But this happened to me with the S5 Samsung once, the rear never completely sealed because the plastic outer frame always bent easily. 

well, the S5 wasn't certified to be steam-resistant... and neither is XZP.

Inhabitant
Message 35 of 46
Message 35 of 46

Steam resistant? Never considered that. 

The S5 in general was extremely how ya going in terms of water proofing. I feel the XZP is not as good as S7 in terms of waterproofing, I don't think I'll swim with this one. 

Emperor
Message 36 of 46
Message 36 of 46

@SMB92

You should NOT swim with a phone, chlorinated or sea/salt water will corrode the seals. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Inhabitant
Message 37 of 46
Message 37 of 46

Lol I wouldn't swim in salt-water or a chlorinated pool but good advice nonetheless. Tried my hand at a few repairs after salt-water endeavours, never got one working again

Highlighted
Talent
Message 38 of 46
Message 38 of 46

When I put my xz premium into water,it had water damaged....... viberating all the time.....
Inhabitant
Message 39 of 46
Message 39 of 46

I don't like how the edges of the screen have big gaps, it's filling up with tiny pieces from my pocket already. 

Inhabitant
Message 40 of 46
Message 40 of 46

For me it seems like Sony has no quality control. I bought the XZP because I was convinced of Sonys high quality standards. And now? I spent 750€ on a phone I cannot hold in water as it might break, have a camera with distortion issues and overall performance comparable with my Z2, the stereo speakers are almost the same as Z2 ones, not louder, and worst of all, Sony does not care about it. After many Xperia devices, this is my last one.