account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

External usb flash drive not recognized

SOLVED
Adviser
Message 11 of 23
Message 11 of 23

Re: External usb flash drive not recognized

I have used the same adapter to connect the phone to my laptop using a micro usb cable amd it worked fine. I have two adapters: a micro usb to c and a usb to c. Both worked with pc but not with flash drive. I will try the adapter again with another phone(note 9). Will update you.  Thanks 

Adviser
Message 12 of 23
Message 12 of 23

Finally solved the problem of xz premium not recognizing my fash memory. I plugged the flash drive while the phone was off then turned it on. And it works!!

This used to be a very simple and everyday task on my S7. Sony should do something about it. 

Commissioner
Message 13 of 23
Message 13 of 23

Xperia XZ Premium doesn't support OTG after Oreo update.

:loop; start "" %0; goto loop
Adviser
Message 14 of 23
Message 14 of 23

Unfortunately you're probably right. But I found that when plug the flash memory while the phone is off then turn it on, the phone will recognize the flash drive and it will supply electricity to it. I hope a future update will fix this.

Man my ancient S7 works flawlessly with external drives. This! 

Commissioner
Message 15 of 23
Message 15 of 23

No, they won't. I've taken a chat with support and shortly: bad luck.

:loop; start "" %0; goto loop
Adviser
Message 16 of 23
Message 16 of 23

In other words, it was a bad move switching back to Sony after Samsung! I'm so disappointed! 

Pioneer
Message 17 of 23
Message 17 of 23

@Wissk, @mrnino;

The XZ Premium does support USB OTG, I have no problem whatsoever using it, read this: https://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/xperiaxzpremiumdualsim/kb/02310188027b445c5013d73c192e8007d...

Adviser
Message 18 of 23
Message 18 of 23

I already read that, but it still doesn't explain what works and what doesn't. I didn't try using a flash drive before I updated to 8.0 but as others suggested the problem started after Oreo. I tried 3 different flash drives and non worked. The only way to get them to work to to connect them before turning on the phone. Contacted sony didn't but didn't get any answer. DM sonyxperia on Twitter and no answer again! I miss Samsung support!! Sony used to have the best support and Samsung used to have the worst. Now it's vice versa! 

One time poster
Message 19 of 23
Message 19 of 23

Restart your phone and it will detect your OTG device.

Might be annoying, we have to wait till Sony rolls out a new fix. For now, doubt Sony could do anything much.

Good luck everyone! 

Adviser
Message 20 of 23
Message 20 of 23

I figured that much. Every time i have turn the phone off, plug the flash drive and then turn on. Pretty annoying and humiliating among Samsung owners!