account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

External usb flash drive not recognized

SOLVED
Highlighted
Adviser
Message 1 of 23
Message 1 of 23

External usb flash drive not recognized

My xzp doesn't seem to recognize any of my flash drives. I use a micro usb to c adapter, which works fine when connecting to pc. Xzp just doesn't recognize the external flash drives and in 8.0 it should be automatic. This used to be so simple with my previous galaxy phone. So what's the problem?? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Adviser
Message 21 of 23
Message 21 of 23

Re: External usb flash drive not recognized

Finally I got my flash drive to work using a Huawei female micro usb to male C. It worked without restarting my phone. I guess i wasn't using a good adapter after all. 

22 REPLIES 22
Pioneer
Message 2 of 23
Message 2 of 23

Hi @Wissk;

The XZ Premium might not be compatible with the adapter you are using, were you able to connect anything at all with the adapter? 

I myself am using a cheap USB-C (male) to USB-A (female) adapter and it works ok.

Try also restarting the phone, sometimes it can help. 

Adviser
Message 3 of 23
Message 3 of 23

I tried the adapter with my pc and it connected fine. I also tried another adapter (female usb to male c) but of the same brand (Baseus) And the i tried more than one flash drive. Of course i tried restarting the phone and i even tried an external hard drive but didn't work. 

Pioneer
Message 4 of 23
Message 4 of 23

@Wissk;

Have you tried also restarting in safe mode just to discard any third party app acting?

Adviser
Message 5 of 23
Message 5 of 23

No i haven't because I doubted that the flash drive will normally function in safe mode. Do think it does? 

Pioneer
Message 6 of 23
Message 6 of 23

I suppose so @Wissk, as it only disables third party apps and your phone should work normally with the pre installed apps. 

Adviser
Message 7 of 23
Message 7 of 23

I tried your suggestion but same result! Didn't work. The flash drive works fine on Samsung Galaxy s7. This is so disappointing!

Pioneer
Message 8 of 23
Message 8 of 23

Is this of any help?

Your USB drive should ideally be formatted with the FAT32 file system for maximum compatibility. Some Android devices may also support the exFAT file system. No Android devices will support Microsoft’s NTFS file system, unfortunately.

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't
Adviser
Message 9 of 23
Message 9 of 23

Yes I'm familiar with the fat32 support. The flash drive runs flawlessly on another android device(s7) and it has the right formatting and has a usb and micro usb ends sandisk. If only i knew which flash drives are supported i will buy a new one and copy the old one which contains most of my work. But i still haven't received any explanation from Sony yet. 

Pioneer
Message 10 of 23
Message 10 of 23

@Wissk;

You are supposing the problem is with the flash drive but you have to consider also the USB adapter because it working on a PC it's no warranty it will work on the phone. 

Regarding working flash drives I don't have any SanDisk but all my Sony ones work with the XZ Premium (with that cheap USB - A to USB - C adapter).