account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Dual SIM + microSD?

Sony Xperia Developer
Message 11 of 19
Message 11 of 19

Re: Dual SIM + microSD?

True, sorry about the mistaken communication @Quester and that we wasn't able to refute it earlier @alexdon. As others confirmed the SIM tray is the hybrid variant. The user guide now available on the website states the following:

Using two SIM cards and a memory card at the same time is not possible. Tray 2 allows you to use either a second SIM card or an additional memory card. Do not cut your SIM card, as this may damage your device.

@AlienWCY and @Jeffrey77 Would you normally use the SD card slot as an extended storage or more like a replaceable, e.g. for moving data from old phone to new?

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 12 of 19
Message 12 of 19

@JensG

I will use it as extended storage, as i keep lots of photos in my phone. To me the hybrid SIM slot is a huge disappointment, and caused me hesitation to upgrade over my Z5 (which I can use 2 SIMs + microSD). In my opinion since XZ Premium is the flagship phone it should have all the best things in it.

One time poster
Message 13 of 19
Message 13 of 19

About XZ Premium Dual

Is it possible to insert two sim cards and a memory card into the "dual" model simultaneously?

Message 14 of 19
Message 14 of 19

Re: About XZ Premium Dual

no, it's got a hybrid SIM card tray, so either two SIM cards or one SIM and one SD card.
Adept
Message 15 of 19
Message 15 of 19

Hey @Spinnsk

Sony really dissappointed me iwth this hybrid slot! :\ and so i prefer not to upgrade my z5 premium or suggesting others.

Anyway, there is a same problem got a solution but

Smiling Face with Sunglasses"ON YOUR OWN RISK" :Smiling Face with Sunglasses

http://www.noreplied.com/how-to-insert-2-nano-sim-dual-sim-enabled-and-microsd-card-in-samsung-galax...

Good luck

Pioneer
Message 16 of 19
Message 16 of 19

This won't work. I tested. Later I looked through the kernel source code and found out that a MMC related module probes for an SD card at startup and then enables the SIM2 serving hardware if couldn't initialize the SD card. So to make this work we have to do a small kernel modification and this AFAIK couldn't be accomplished without unlocking the bootloader. Another way I guess might be a very tiny electronic module that would temporarily 'hide' SD card from the kernel logic until it supply the power to SIM2. The module would be placed into the hybrid slot along with the SD card and SIM2.

One time poster
Message 17 of 19
Message 17 of 19

I live in malaysia and I owned a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Dual

it has two SIM slot and a dedicated micro sd card slot in it,price is same as the single sim version so better stick with dual 

One time poster
Message 18 of 19
Message 18 of 19

very disappointed...I just bought a dual sim one with only 64GB internal memory, cause I thought I could have my SD card....this really diminishes the value of the dual sim....

I confirm it's a hybrid slot.

Learner
Message 19 of 19
Message 19 of 19

Too bad as the XA1 Dual had dedicated slots for all 3 cards and they work simultaneously...