account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Controls to Turn On or Off 4K Resolution on XZ Premium??

Inhabitant
Message 1 of 11
Message 1 of 11

Controls to Turn On or Off 4K Resolution on XZ Premium??

Will there be controls on the XZ Premium that allow the user to turn on and off the FULL 4K display resolution when WE wish to do so?  The Z5 Premium had no such control, and 4K only works when certain, specific media was viewed - otherwise it displayed 1920 X 1080 HD only (please correct me if this is wrong).

This YouTube video mentions that Sony reps are not sure, but the video maker says they are hinting that there will be a way to turn on and off the full 4K display modes on the XZ Premium??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8YGlSJaDFQ
(Go to 3:04 in the video to hear this mentioned.)

Any other news along these lines?
Will there be a control panel that allows US to choose when the phone uses full 4K?
Will there be control for HDR as well, for media that would benefit from it?

I'm not only concerned with battery life - I think we can decide whatever is best for us at the time:
* Do I NEED to see my photos / videos in 4K & HDR right now!? - or -
* Do I need to conserve battery power for a longer trip away?

Sony - please let us decide and have these controls for 4K / HDR display!

I had a chance to check out the Sony XZ Premium. It is a stunning phone with next generation capabilities but will it catch attention when it is released after several months? Let me know your thoughts. Is this a phone that you would like to see me review when it finally comes out?
10 REPLIES 10
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 11
Message 2 of 11

Re: Controls to Turn On or Off 4K Resolution on XZ Premium??

it isn't mentioned on the official website: https://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-xz-premium/display/

there is no way to tell for now if it has this functionality, all the Xperia XZ premium that "reviewers" have on youtube are not commercial grade devices and is limited in one way or the other.

if it is anything like the Z5 premium, the closest thing you have in disabling 4k upscale is by disabling image enhancements in the settings menu.

________________________________________________________________________________
The Man! The Myth! The Forum Legend! -Scott Sterling
Inhabitant
Message 3 of 11
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for your reply!  I still do hope that the XZ Premium gives a bit more control to the user than the Z5-P, since the 4K screens are the THE big reason for the XZ-P being in its top class.
Thanks again!

Inhabitant
Message 4 of 11
Message 4 of 11

As I would be a new purchaser of an Xperia phone, can you tell me one bit about how the Z5-P works with photos, if you know, please?  So assume that I want to do this with the Z5-Prem., and hopefully the XZ-P will have at least this ability:

I need to be able to upload my own photos - taken with another camera, but I would upload them in whatever format and size the XZ-P (or for now, the Z5-P) would best accept (JPG or other image file, at the exact resolution of the XZ-P screen).

Once in the phone, would I have any trouble entering them into Sony's version of the Photo App or "Gallery" and displaying them at the highest resolution?

Finally, I've heard that the Z5-P has a slight delay in displaying the picture, where it starts off very low resolution, and after a moment, it displays the photo in high resolution.  If I were to upload them at the exact screen resolution, would this get around the phone's need to "delay" showing the picture, since it wouldn't have to "resize" it for the screeen (in your opinion)?
Many thanks!

Veteran
Message 5 of 11
Message 5 of 11

I would love to have possibility to select screen resolution manually. 

Learner
Message 6 of 11
Message 6 of 11

Install adb on your mac or PC. Google for the guides on how to do it.

Then connect the XZ Premium using a USB-C cable from the mac or PC. I used a mac.

# adb shell

> wm size 2160x3840

> wm density 820

This worked for me. I could play Quake at 4K, 60 fps in a VR headset, with a Logitech F710, (just worked, no joystick app). Amazing.

However, the phone dialer always crashes when I try to use it. The phone can't make or answer calls until I reset the resolution to the stock values. Still, I'm happy. Just a couple of commands to change it back after using the phone for VR. The phone doesn't even need to reboot.

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 11
Message 7 of 11

Mike_Amy,

you play Quake on the phone or do you use the phone as PC monitor? If so, what software you use for that?

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 8 of 11
Message 8 of 11

AGREE WITH THAT!

Learner
Message 9 of 11
Message 9 of 11

There is patched version of Google dialer that works with 4k resolution 

One time poster
Message 10 of 11
Message 10 of 11

So I just found out today about this "4k all the time" and as I watch more videos about it some people complained about issues like phone app crashing and stuff that's when I realized that the previous owner of my XZP did this to my XZP because every time I install a new app if there's an app that is open it crashes so I download the app AIDA64 to find out and I was right it's all ready been activated. I want to know how to turn it off.