account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Connect Sony Xperia XZ PREMIUM to ROUTER via Ethernet cable

One time poster
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

Hello. Would like to connect my smartphone directly to the router, because Wi-Fi is too weak and mobile data is too expensive. How does it work? Can someone help?

Sony Xperia XZ PREMIUM mit ROUTER via Ethernet Kabel verbinden

Hallo. Würde gerne mein Smartphone direkt mit dem Router verbinden, da WLAN zu schwach ist und Mobile Daten zu teuer  sind. Wie geht das? Kann jemand helfen? 

8 REPLIES 8
Emperor
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

Re: Connect Sony Xperia XZ PREMIUM to ROUTER via Ethernet cable

@Silviotto2010 

I've edited your post as this is an English only forum, you can use Google Translate to reply and/or post.

you probably need an adapter take a look at this

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

Hi @Silviotto2010, welcome to our forum!

I'm afraid that the Xperia XZ Premium does not support USB Type-C port to Ethernet network adapter, so you won't be able to use an adapter to connect a Ethernet cable to your device and use Internet that way.

You mention that the Wi-Fi is too weak, is it the signal that is not good enough? If you are currently using a 5 GHz Wi-Fi network, you can try using a 2.4 GHz network instead, as the reach tends to be a bit better.

I hope that helps!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

Hey Jonas,

I have the XZ3, does it also not support USB OTG Ethernet adaptors?

Thanks,

Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

Hi @ImagineZ2,

Unfortunately it's the same for the Xperia XZ3 as it does not support this either.

I hope that answers your question, even though it was not the answer you were hoping for.

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Learner
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

Hey Jonas, 

Are you aware of any future updates bringing the ethernet drivers back? Or if I am able to load them myself? 

Could I ask why Sony opted to remove the ethernet support as I know OTG to USB drive works fine.

Cheers 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

Hi again @ImagineZ2!

I'm afraid that I don't know if this will be/can be added in a software update, but I'll make sure to forward your request internally as user feedback.

I'm not really sure why the support was not added and as you said, you can use OTG to connect a USB drive, keyboard, mouse and other accessories using an adapter.

I'm sorry that I can't give you a better reply with more information, but this is the information that I have available.

One time poster
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

Can I connect o ethernet with Xperia L3?

Sony Xperia Support
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

Hi @Lajsa,

This is not supported in the Xperia L3 either so you will need to use mobile data or Wi-Fi to have an Internet connection in your device.