account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Changing the name of the device

SOLVED
Visitor
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

Changing the name of the device

How do i change the name that my device uses to identify on the network from Xperia XZ Premium to something else. (like say OxymoRonalds Xperia)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Re: Changing the name of the device

you don't mean the name visible for Bluetooth devices by any chance, do you? if you do, you can change that in Settings > Bluetooth > overflow menu (3 dots in the top right corner) > Rename device. just make sure you've got Bluetooth switched on before trying to rename it.

if you mean changing the phone's name when using WiFi Direct, then you can do that by going to Settings > WiFi > overflow menu > WiFi Direct > Rename device. similar with Bluetooth, you need to have your WiFi enabled before you can rename the phone.

other than that I'm afraid you'd need your device to be rooted and edit build.prop file.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

you don't mean the name visible for Bluetooth devices by any chance, do you? if you do, you can change that in Settings > Bluetooth > overflow menu (3 dots in the top right corner) > Rename device. just make sure you've got Bluetooth switched on before trying to rename it.

if you mean changing the phone's name when using WiFi Direct, then you can do that by going to Settings > WiFi > overflow menu > WiFi Direct > Rename device. similar with Bluetooth, you need to have your WiFi enabled before you can rename the phone.

other than that I'm afraid you'd need your device to be rooted and edit build.prop file.
Highlighted
Visitor
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the answer.

Guess rooting the device is the only option then. What a stupid thing to lock out tho...

Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

uuuuuuuunless you mean changing the name when using the phone as a hotspot? because that can be changed in Settings > More > Tethering & Portable Hotspot > Setup WiFi Hotspot.

One time poster
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

I agree.  Especially where there are multiple devices, and generations of devices, using the product name for the device name is impossible to manage.  To have to change WIFI, Bluetooth, etc individually is an unnecessary waste of time.  I know I've just spent an hour trying to find out how to change my device name, and I still have to make time to work through the various connection protocols.

Shame, shame, shame.

One time poster
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

Old thread but maybe this will help, you can change the name od the WiFi devices on your network inside the router and in that way keep order.