account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Broken sound control after Pie update

SOLVED
Sony Xperia Support
Message 21 of 26
Message 21 of 26

Re: Broken sound control after Pie update

Hi @azzido,

I have not heard back regarding the feedback, but that does not have to mean that this is not being considered. However I'm not sure if Sony or other brands are allowed to change how this works in Android Pie, for example, if this is a requirement from Google and that it can't/is not allowed to be changed.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Message 22 of 26
Message 22 of 26

@mrnino

There's a workaround for the people who want to control ringer and notification volume when pressing the volume buttons. Simple install Button Mapper v0.73 APK, grant it accessibility permission, then map your volume up button to "Volume up" and volume down button to "Volume down". This will make the volume buttons control ringtone and notification volume by default and you'll see 2 sliders on-screen: one for ringtones and the other for media.

Note: DO NOT install later versions of this app, you'll find this feature requires a paid subscription (unless you want to support the developer, of course).

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 23 of 26
Message 23 of 26

@Quester, that is a really good find, thanks for sharing this information! Slightly smiling Face

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Veteran
Message 24 of 26
Message 24 of 26

Stupid Google... maybe Europen Comission should take a look at it and provide some penalties again to change their minds... Maybe they will finally wake up.  

One time poster
Message 25 of 26
Message 25 of 26

@Jonas wrote:

Hi @azzido,

I have not heard back regarding the feedback, but that does not have to mean that this is not being considered. However I'm not sure if Sony or other brands are allowed to change how this works in Android Pie, for example, if this is a requirement from Google and that it can't/is not allowed to be changed.

I don't think that is true. I have XZ Premium with Pie and Note 9 with Pie. On Note 9 volume keys still work like on older android versions - they adjust ringer volume. Unless Samsung hase better connections with Google Winking Face this cearly could be fixed.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 26 of 26
Message 26 of 26

Hi @Trettio, welcome to our forum!

Thank you for this information! I'm not sure how it works in other brands devices in Android Pie, but at least now I know how it works for you in Samsungs "version" of Android Pie and based on that, manufacturers are allowed to change this! Slightly smiling Face

Thanks again and have a great day!