account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Android pie , xz premium update headphone issue

Visitor
Message 1 of 15
Message 1 of 15

Android pie , xz premium update headphone issue

After updating to pie, I now have a problem where listening to music or playing video will suddenly stop   And when I press ay again it comes out my phone speakers and not the headphones it was working on just fine before. 

After a couple of reinserts it will work again for between 30s and a few mins, never had this issue until the pie update applied... Any ideas  

14 REPLIES 14
Adviser
Message 2 of 15
Message 2 of 15

Re: Android pie , xz premium update headphone issue

Hi, 

Not sure if it's an android pie issue, mines been working fine, but I did have a similar issue a while back with a pair of faulty headphones, the jack plug end for them was slightly damaged and loose, so whenever the jack was moved in a particular way it stopped playback, when I pressed play again it was playing out of the device instead.

The way the headphone jack works is there is a small link in the bottom of the headphone socket, headphones or whatever when inserted break this link so then the phone knows something has been plugged in, this in turn disables the loudspeaker on the phone and only sends the sound to the headphone socket.

When the socket link inside reconnects to itself, the phone knows the headphones have been unplugged, and stops playback incase you accidentally unplugged the headphones (a feature built into Android for years now, not everyone likes five finger death punch)

I'd suggest trying another pair of headphones as you may have just been unlucky that the headphones have died at the same (I'd check the headphone jack looks straight and the tip isn't loose, failing all that, check there's no fluff in the bottom of headphone jack that may be keeping it held up ever so slightly

One time poster
Message 3 of 15
Message 3 of 15

Latest software update and ear phone jack

Following the latest software update my earphone jack no longer works. 

I have tried other earphones and they no longer work with my phone, yet they work on other devices. 

I have not installed any apps since the update. I have attempted to use the soundabout app but it keeps crashing. 

How do I uninstall the latest software update I just installed? 

Visitor
Message 4 of 15
Message 4 of 15

Re: Latest software update and ear phone jack

having the same problem, I have to to put in and out many times the head phones for them to work. I had to wear the headphones and I heard a little noice when they work, after many tries. this is bad btw

Visitor
Message 5 of 15
Message 5 of 15

I'm having the issue, it's frustrating it can take more than a minute to get my head phones working.. Supper annoying. We need an update to fix this ASAP or my cellphone will become obsolete.. I thought I had the best phone I've ever had until this stupid pie update full of bugs 

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 6 of 15
Message 6 of 15

It's not the headphones    I've installed an app now that forces the headphone selection and it works all the time now . 

But  it means I have to specifically change routing every time I unplug or plug in the headphones  

This all worked perfectly until Pie . 

Adviser
Message 7 of 15
Message 7 of 15

Just wondering if your using the bundled "music" app or a third party?

I usually connect via Bluetooth but just out of interest I connected my speaker via the 3.5mm jack and played Amazon Music today for 6 hours without issue.

*EDIT*

forgot to also ask, did your phone update OTA or did you sideload it via companion?

Also are you using a standard 3.5mm headphone jack or a USB-C one? 

One time poster
Message 8 of 15
Message 8 of 15

I'm having the same issue, I notice it wasn't working a few months ago when I tried to plug it into the aux in the car but this turned out to be fluff in the socket, after getting rid it worked fine, I've not tried using the jack for a while but since buying a new £330 pair of headphones it's still not working, I've checked for fluff again but I've found none and don't know what else to try.....

One time poster
Message 9 of 15
Message 9 of 15

New update wont let me use headphones

Last night did the update now headphones don't play I've gone onto settings but still nothing 

Message 10 of 15
Message 10 of 15

Could you  kindly provide the name of the app that forces audio to headphone on Pie, Appreciated. I have scoured all day but turned up nothing. Needless to say 4.7.2.A.0.306 killed my headphones here in UK.