account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Android 9 Pie Sound Issue

SOLVED
Message 1 of 84
Message 1 of 84

Android 9 Pie Sound Issue

So after i received my update for Android Pie on my Xperia XZ Premium, i was excited. Now i found im having sound issues. Ringing, notifications, music or anything tbat plays sound starts normal then goes extremely low very quickly causing only one of the dual speakers to work normally. Is this happening to other users? It was perfect with everything til this update  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 19 of 84
Message 19 of 84

Re: Android 9 Pie Sound Issue

Hello everyone and I'm very sorry to hear about the behaviour that everyone has been experiencing since updating to Android Pie.

You might experience that the sound from the main (lower) loudspeaker is poor after updating your device to Android 9.0. In this case you should install an upcoming, later software version to check if the behaviour persists.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

83 REPLIES 83
Message 2 of 84
Message 2 of 84

Hi @Acethedrummer89

Have you try to run the Diagnose tools to see if the problem persists?

Support App - Tests 

This is a user-based global forum. So please, write in english! By doing so, it can be well received and monitored.
If the problem is solved, mark it as a solution so others can know Grinning Face
Message 3 of 84
Message 3 of 84

Yeah already did. Even had to use the Xperia companion app on my computer to repair the software. Still occurred after. Hoping Google or Sony releases an update to fix this bug. I'm very disappointed on this especially if I've been a Xperia user since 2012. 

Learner
Message 4 of 84
Message 4 of 84

Same persist in my device. I just received android 9 pie I the morning. Everything else works perfectly. Actually this problem was there when my device was in android 7.1  . Android 8.0 solved this issue again this problem is come back  in android 9. I request Sony to pls fix this problem. This sound is so low. Bass is gone low totally too.

My phone model is xz premium G8142 dual. 

Message 5 of 84
Message 5 of 84

You have the same one I have, I bought the red one back in February. It was already preloaded with 8.0 Oreo. Sound was flawless. Android 9 fixed issues with battery and Bluetooth issues in my car. Just the sound issue. I'll redo the software repair again and update you. 

Message 6 of 84
Message 6 of 84

So update regarding the sound issue, i just completed the software repair from the Xperia Companion app on Windows PC. Took longer than usual but it fixed the issue. Both speakers are now working louder. took a 2nd try, (not sure why). But if you guys are having this issue, back up your information first either to google account or to your computer on the Xperia Companion app before running software repair. Totally worth it. 

One time poster
Message 7 of 84
Message 7 of 84

Have the same problem, the top speaker is louder, than bottom, after recovery by pc companion bottom speaker was louder for 2 - 3 hour, then all come back.

Regular
Message 8 of 84
Message 8 of 84

After Android 9 update bottom speaker sound is very low, even sounds lower than the top speaker.

When any music (including ringing tone) starts, initially sounds well, but after 1 second sound level drop significantly.

Completely ruins the stereo quality.

Visitor
Message 9 of 84
Message 9 of 84

Since 9 the speakerphone is so quiet it's unusable. Need to backdate to 8 to use my Xperia without loosing my apps but no idea how to  If not its bye to Sony and I'll go Samsung  No point of a phone I can't phone people on. 

Learner
Message 10 of 84
Message 10 of 84

Could we get any kind of answer to this issue? I've been experiencing the same issue since the first android 9 update. Top speaker is totally fine but the bottom speaker starts loud and then it drops so low that if you cover the top one it's pretty much muted. I didn't have the issue with android 8 so I'd assume it's a software issue.