account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

4G Failure

Highlighted
Sage
Message 11 of 25
Message 11 of 25

Re: 4G Failure

Does your network provider support VoLTE?

If not, the call is naturally bumped down to 3G.

(If supported, VoLTE will have to be enabled in Settings and call should stay in 4G.)

(I have Telenor as carrier, VoLTE enabled and the call stays in 4G+ as long as there is 4G coverage. When 4G drops off, I can often hear a small lag for perhaps 1 second when call is continued on other service available)

Enthusiast
Message 12 of 25
Message 12 of 25

Thanks for your comment,

As far as I know, Tele2 doesn't yet support Voice over LTE, which is strange if Telenor runs it. In Sweden Tele2 and Telenor runs on the same 4G hardware on their network. This is the main cause as I wrote before, the 4G to 3G routing doesn't work in location with weak signals. 

One time poster
Message 13 of 25
Message 13 of 25

I have the same problem after software update of the phone.

THE PHONE IS NOT POSSIBLE TO USE WHEN THE SIGNAL IS SOMEWHAT LOW. Got this confirmed by the phone support. 

SONY HAS TO FIX THIS DORECTLY!! 

I WILL HAVE TO BUY A NEW PHONE OTHERWISE! 

Enthusiast
Message 14 of 25
Message 14 of 25

Hi and thanks for your comment.

So the bug is confirmed by Sony!!!!

/Stefan 

Enthusiast
Message 15 of 25
Message 15 of 25

>Hi and thanks for your comment.
So the bug is confirmed by Sony!!!!

Can you elaborate this?

Inhabitant
Message 16 of 25
Message 16 of 25

I also have this problem, it first appeared in July (bought the phone in June) it was random one or twice a day, my phone lost all signal when 4g was active, now it's worst if I have 4g I make a call, after I hang up my phone loses all network signal for as long as a minute and I cannot make or receive any calls, and this happens multiple times a day.

As a partial fix I switched to wcdma proffered/gsm but it's unacceptable to not be able to use 4g or receive calls because the phone loses all network signal. And I have changed my sim card to a new one with no result!

Sony please tell us it's a hardware or software problem, and try to fix it please

Enthusiast
Message 17 of 25
Message 17 of 25

Hi and thanks for your comment. 

To all of you out there,  that have this problem,  it would be a nice thing to include info about signal level, country and operator. 

I think this information is of a high value for Sony and Google. 

/Stefan 

Sage
Message 18 of 25
Message 18 of 25

This alleged problem may be more connected to carriers and their support/handling of 4G-3G, etc than the phone itself, as the majority of owners of the phone does not have any issues at all.

( I use the word alleged, as this problem is not confirmed to be a problem by Sony.

A one time poster with reference to a service-center contact is not confirming anything, rather than trying to blow smoke on the subject)

stefan_c;

Perhaps you could borrow/try a SIM from a carrier that support VoLTE in your phone to see if you experience the same problem?  

Enthusiast
Message 19 of 25
Message 19 of 25

Hi. !

I don't blow smoke, as I wrote on another thread, the problems started with the upgrade to Oreo,(8.0)

So, the fact is something fishy is going on with this release combined with  weak signal , pse read my other topic I have made an extensive investigation on the matter. 

Regards.. 

/Stefan

Message 20 of 25
Message 20 of 25

As I mentioned previously...possibly in another thread...this is a Google Android Oreo problem.

Does Sony have the ability/resources/skills/or even privileged access to be able to fix this issue?

I doubt it! The issue is well documented on many forums for many phones that have the Oreo upgrade installed. The confusing part is why it is affecting so many phones and yet the majority of Oreo users do not have the problem? That's what makes squashing bugs so difficult. The moment you squash one bug another emerges.

Just another reason for Google to STOP making new versions of Android and just make the current one run properly FIRST!!!!!

So now that "we" gave Sony  props for getting the update out so fast....maybe we need to rethink this way of doing things and let other OEM's push these updates while we sit back and let them suffer through the bugs until they are squashed enough for us to upgrade our phones. I would rather get the update a little later and not have to worry about the update breaking my necessary tool.