account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Proximity sensor issue during call

One time poster
Message 51 of 56
Message 51 of 56

Re: Proximity sensor issue during call

I have the same problem on XA.

One time poster
Message 52 of 56
Message 52 of 56

I have a brand new XA2 and facing the same issue. As this was flagged several months ago, looks like there isn't a resolution. So I have a cell phone that is good at everything but its main function: making calls!

One time poster
Message 53 of 56
Message 53 of 56

I also have same problem! This is my first and last phone from Sony!!! 

One time poster
Message 54 of 56
Message 54 of 56

Sadly. my XA2 suffers the same problem. The sensor has a range of about 2 cm. The short range is made much worse by the end plates protruding the surface of the body. This makes pressing the phone against the ear uncomfortable, especially during longer calls, and thus one tends to keep it further away. Two poor design choices by Sony.

I wonder if there are any work-arounds. For example, a 3rd party phone app that doesn't have on-screen buttons, or only in the bottom area ?

Also, many claim that this is simply a software problem. In this case, switching to LineageOS may help. Does anyone have experience with that on the XA2 ? And if yes, did it solve the proximity sensor problem ? (I used LineageOS on a Moto G5. It worked quite well for over a year, but then started acting weird, basically rendering the phone useless, with no practical recovery path. Battery consumption was very high.)

One time poster
Message 55 of 56
Message 55 of 56

Same here never xperia again... Too long without a fix

Highlighted
Learner
Message 56 of 56
Message 56 of 56

Had the same issue on my XA1, and on my new XA2 too.

But, as a fix.. Pressing the lock button in a call will lock the screen and the sensor will not activate. Not ideal but helps for long calls. Just make sure the option "Power button ends call" in accessibility is switched off.