account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Just bought an Xperia A2 - is it safe to go to Pie now?

Learner
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

Just bought an Xperia A2 - is it safe to go to Pie now?

Well at least I thinks it's Pie; it wants to update to 50.2.A.0.379

The camera is important to me and seems to be fine under Oreo. I have read that earlier this year, the Pie update messed things up a bit in this regard.

I am a light phone user - calls, texts, waze and photos will be pretty much all I do - so is Pie even worth considering?

Thanks for your help!

5 REPLIES 5
Rookie
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Re: Just bought an Xperia A2 - is it safe to go to Pie now?

I don`t think so. Just updated XA2 System Software and the Sony Smartphone isn`t detected as XPERIA Phone any more when connected to Windows10 PC via USB. Windows says "unknown USB Device" !!!

Apprentice
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

I am using it and I have no issues so far.

Camera is maybe a little worse than on Oreo (there is more noise in post processing) but it still can take good pictures.

Check few samples I've taken all on Pie Flickr

Learner
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for the info - looks as if the jury is still out on this one! Will leave this question open for awhile - hopefully there will be more feedback and it will become clearer whether the update is risky a little or a lot of the time....

By the way - the photos look nice - I'm waiting for it to stop raining here so I can try the camera out!

Thanks again for your help guys Slightly smiling Face

Apprentice
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

You're welcome! Winking Face

Also I would recommend to do a factory reset after the update. It is recommended to do factory reset after every major OS update. And some people reported some really bad camera performance that after factory reset solved it. Backup your data first.

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

Unfortunately, no hard reset can cure the bad camera quality after Pie update.

So if you want to take really nice photos, stay on Oreo.

There is only one minor advantage in this division for Pie : the audio recorded with videos is much, much better on  Pie. But the rest, photos/video picture is ... meh. Especially HDR and night/low light.