account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Can't receive text messages

SOLVED
Visitor
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

Can't receive text messages

I have an unlocked Sony Xperia XA2 which can send text messages out to other phones but I can not receive the responses. I can text myself and receive them. I am stumped and really need to be able to message for work. I can make calls and use data, the SMS/MMS is what is jacked up. It has been working fine for the last couple of months and in the last two days this issue arrived.

I use Android messages for my text. I uninstalled all of the updates and I still couldn't get any of the messages sent to me. So I reinstalled all of the updates and no change. 

My carrier is AT&T and they reprovisioned my SIM which did nothing. Any assistance is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Visitor
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

Re: Can't receive text messages

I think I finally resolved my issue. Here are the steps I took to get it functioning again.

1. Contacted my provider and went through a troubleshooting item with them. They ended up reprovisioning my SIM and "reactiviating" the phone. This didn't fix the issue.

2.I started the phone in safe mode and tested the SMS, to rule out any third party apps. This didn't fix the issue.

3. Updated my SMSC # by dialing *#*#4636#*#* -> phone information -> scrolled down to SMSC -> tapped refresh to get the current number and then hit update. This didn't fix the issue.

4. Was about to do a factory reset but I first decided to put my SIM in an old LG phone that I had. As soon as I started the old phone I started getting a plethora of text notifications. I sent a few texts from my old phone and got a few responses. I then put my SIM back into my XA2, started it up and sent an SMS message. I then received a response SMS. I also sent an MMS and received a MMS response.  I tried a few other friends and got responses.

I am not actually sure what fixed the issue but everything seems to work at this time.

4 REPLIES 4
Emperor
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

@king440

I think it's a third party acting up, boot in >>> safe mode and check again, this will disable all third party apps, so your MMS/SMS will go through the preloaded messaging app. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Visitor
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

I restarted in safe mode and still am unable to receive messages.

Visitor
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

I think I finally resolved my issue. Here are the steps I took to get it functioning again.

1. Contacted my provider and went through a troubleshooting item with them. They ended up reprovisioning my SIM and "reactiviating" the phone. This didn't fix the issue.

2.I started the phone in safe mode and tested the SMS, to rule out any third party apps. This didn't fix the issue.

3. Updated my SMSC # by dialing *#*#4636#*#* -> phone information -> scrolled down to SMSC -> tapped refresh to get the current number and then hit update. This didn't fix the issue.

4. Was about to do a factory reset but I first decided to put my SIM in an old LG phone that I had. As soon as I started the old phone I started getting a plethora of text notifications. I sent a few texts from my old phone and got a few responses. I then put my SIM back into my XA2, started it up and sent an SMS message. I then received a response SMS. I also sent an MMS and received a MMS response.  I tried a few other friends and got responses.

I am not actually sure what fixed the issue but everything seems to work at this time.

One time poster
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

You said you placed your sims card in old device, what if my old device doesn't take this current sims card? I've been thru everything. Customer service at straight talk and did hard factory reset. Still can not receive any text messages?! Any help plz.