account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Waist of money?

Learner
Message 1 of 13
Message 1 of 13

Waist of money?

I am currently using the Xperia xa2 ultra phone that I just got in April. Since 2014 when I purchased the Xperia z1s from t-mobile, I have been chasing that quality in a phone ever since. I've been using Sony products since the cassette Walkman to portable CD players, car stereos, mp3 players, laptops, tv's, cameras, game systems and cell phones. That is a long time buying and using Sony products and a lot of money.

In April I had the opportunity to get my wife and I some new phones. She chose the Samsung s8 because she has been using Samsung devices for the past 4 years and that's what's she likes. Me on the other hand..... I was doing some checking between the Samsung s8+ and the Sony xa2 ultra. Basically I was going to make my decision when I went to the store and after looking at them. I ended up with the xa2 ultra because they did not have any samsung s8+ in stock so I went with the Sony, never had a problem with Sony so I did it.

It is now June and after a couple of months I have to say I wish I could take it back. Instead of looking at my phone and feeling proud of my purchase, I feel embarrassed and mad because I waisted my hard earned money. The phone is so basic in features like a cheap pre paid phone. You took away features that made the Sony phones in the past so great like the Walkman music app, the camera. I know what the paper says about the camera and it's specs, but I'm sorry this phone was put to a test next to a Samsung and it couldn't compare to to the Samsung. My phone had the better specs for the camera and it was shown that it wasn't true. That's what I remembered the most about the z1s I had before was the quality of the pictures..... And this xa2 ultra failed. I can't even change the background of my text message screen.

Why? Why has it come to this? I have stood by Sony and continued supporting and buying your products and this is where it gets me? Your support forums are full of people who have paid a lot of money for this phone and be very disappointed. Sony...... You have let me down...... Be the company you was...... Listen to your customers!

12 REPLIES 12
Inhabitant
Message 2 of 13
Message 2 of 13

Re: Waist of money?

Many people are disappointed, you are not alone, it is unfortunate to delete posts in an international forum of sony that are related to the expectations.

Learner
Message 3 of 13
Message 3 of 13

Then Sony should see this and fix the products....

Visitor
Message 4 of 13
Message 4 of 13

I am with you I just contacted Sony about 2 of these phones, a waste of time, Yes I was dumb enough to buy 2 of them, huge waist of money, We bought them for the camera, but the camera is horrible, we totally hate thes phones. My cheap $100 phones were much better.

Highlighted
Genius
Message 5 of 13
Message 5 of 13

Well everyone has their own opinion....some really like the XA2 but some don't, world would be even more of a mess if everyone liked the same things & offered no opinions.

Me....well i love the XA2 Ultra, the size, the feel & the build quality, actually find the camera & the quality of the pictures better than my XZ Premium......I'm sorry you don't like certain aspects or pre installed apps then you can try other apps from the Play Store to customise the phone to your preferences. 

Regular
Message 6 of 13
Message 6 of 13

Yes I completely agree with you 

Some basic functions are missing like shortcut icons for vibration and silent mode, the smart back-light control never working and the screen continue working even if you put the phone on the table, the applications closed suddenly, the proximity sensor not work well and some times the screen turn on during conversation and you accidentally hang off the call or mute it. 
I am really disappoint from what i faced this my second sony mobile the first one was xperia SP i was really happy with but now i am not

Message 7 of 13
Message 7 of 13

>the Walkman music player

It's the same music player that used to be on Xperia Z series, just with its name changed. one reason I've heard is that not enough people know what Walkman was nowadays, so it made sense to change the name to Music to make it easier to find for people.

with regards to the camera, you're comparing a flagship device to a midrange model.

the default SMS app is made by Google, not Sony. you can provide Google some feedback about the ability to change the background image, and get another SMS app from Google Play Store.
Regular
Message 8 of 13
Message 8 of 13

XA2 ultra just waste of money

After suffering from poor software and non working sensors i decide to go back to my galaxy J7 2016. Xperia XA2 ultra was just waste of mony and really poor functionality you cannot even attach contact when you write SMS.

I put it on the closet just to Remenber not to buy sony mobile again.

It's really bad experience with sony after one month using.

Message 9 of 13
Message 9 of 13

Re: XA2 ultra just waste of money

@wili if you want to attach a contact to your SMS, go to Contacts, tap the contact you want to send via text, then tap three dots in the top right corner of the screen and choose Share > Messages. the default SMS app is maintained by Google so it's them that decided to not include a more convenient way to attach contacts to messages, but the above method is too cumbersome for you, you can simply try another SMS app. I'm fairly sure that Pulse SMS (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=xyz.klinker.messenger) has got that feature, for example.

Learner
Message 10 of 13
Message 10 of 13

Hi all, I'm using XA2 ultra for now, is been April till now. Yes, the software/OS it might abit lose if compare with my previous Samsung A9 Pro (it also mid-range phone). But the camera for photo/video is better. Battery life seem ok too! Others just ok for me. 

And one thing the phone is lack of the dual clock widget, I know we can get from the third-party app. But Samsung it come itself already.