account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Play Windows Media Files

One time poster
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

Play Windows Media Files

May I know if Sony totally drops support of Windows Media CODEC on XA2 Ultra?

As I know the Music app from the phone shows no files from folders containing wma files.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Pioneer
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

Re: Play Windows Media Files

Wow. I've not seen a WMA file for years. 

In all my time over various Sony forums I have never seen anyone even mention it. 

I can't tell you if it's officially been dropped, I'm afraid, but they may well have done.

I know it's true because I made it up myself...
One time poster
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

My previous Sony phone was C5 Ultra, which supports WMA file playback. XA2 Ultra needs to install 3rd party media player that has internal Windows Media codec such as VLC player.

It is kinda hard to convert all the WMA files that I have to MP3 format, as there are hundreds of songs and music files. Slightly frowning Face

Pioneer
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

Are you creating a new forum account each time you post?!

Ive not looked (I don't own an XA2) but have you checked whether old versions of the Music app handle it? 

Perhaps it's worth converting them though because I imagine there's going to be less support going forward... not just from Sony.

I know it's true because I made it up myself...
Highlighted
One time poster
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

Actually I ran into the same problem when I copied my files directly into the memory card, so WMAs couldn't be played. How I solved it was by transferring the files through Media Go by Sony, or you can also do this through xperia companion. I got the same phone as you, a Xperia XA2 Ultra.