account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Phone bricking from Android 9.0 update?

Enthusiast
Message 1 of 13
Message 1 of 13

Phone bricking from Android 9.0 update?

So from what I've already seen from two prior discussions and an article that was posted about this there seems to be issues already with the Android 9.0 update causing this phone to break in some cases? If this is the actual case Sony should be addressing this ASAP and if any individuals are suffering from this problem should either give them exception for warranty be still in effect or expired, and pushing out an update to brick because that's totally unnecessary to push out a major update as such and it causes that big of an issue!

12 REPLIES 12
Emperor
Message 2 of 13
Message 2 of 13

Re: Phone bricking from Android 9.0 update?

@HRJ86 

could you share the links?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 13
Message 3 of 13

One time poster
Message 4 of 13
Message 4 of 13

Just ran the system update this morning and now mine is a expensive paper weight. I really hope SOny makes this right. 

Learner
Message 5 of 13
Message 5 of 13

9.0 bricked my XA2 ultra today.

Visitor
Message 6 of 13
Message 6 of 13

Just happened to me, in Brazil. I have a XA 2. So, anyone knows how to proceed here?

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 13
Message 7 of 13

Either contact customer service for appropriate steps, or use the Xperia Companion on your computer to revert back to previous version if possible. 

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 13
Message 8 of 13

This is what I'm saying, they pulled the update awhile back due to this exact issue, just placed it back and now there's more reports of bricking issues! 

Learner
Message 9 of 13
Message 9 of 13

Xperia Companion via usb wants me to to unlock the device. Xperia Companions "my device cannot be detected or started" button gives me a network error. Googles "find my device" returns "device not available"
I can boot to the pin keypad but like many other people it keeps given me "incorrect pin. I can enter MY pin all day long. If I enter an incorrect pin 4 times it tells me try again in 30 seconds.
Called customer support support last evening. Told me to use  Xperia Companion. Gave the info above. Said he would call today. It is now after 5pm and no call.

===7pm update===

Called Cust. support. Walked me through same crap. Said only option is to send it back to be unlocked. Asked and was told that it would be factory reset, 14 days and only get the phone back. I told them about all the people that have/had the same problem. They never head of it. Sony has to get the stuff together. Not good PR.

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 13
Message 10 of 13

Lead by example in there case! That's just flat out ridiculous they want to play the "dumb card" with this nonsense 🙄