account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

How to store apps on sd card on xperia xa2

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

Re: How to store apps on sd card on xperia xa2

Hi everyone,

In regards to your questions about why this is no longer available, please have a look at the text below.

Google stopped providing the possibility to move apps to an SD card to secure the security and the privacy in Android 6. This feature was removed from Android, but we continued to support it further for some time. However, we decided not to keep our solution to move apps to an SD card for users security and privacy.

I hope that answers your questions!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

5 REPLIES 5
Enthusiast
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Technically you can't do that anymore her Android removing that feature from either Android 4 or 5.0

Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

Hi @Sl1mBrady

I'm sorry to say that Xperia XA2 does not support the feature of moving applications to a SD card.

You can still transfer media and such to the SD card. And also, some applications does allow data to be stored directly on the SD card, but that is completely up the developers of the applications. 

I'm really sorry to say this, but if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask!

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

One time poster
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

I disagree with this answer. Actually Sony locked this feature! I looked into this and it turns out that if I remember correctly that Samsung does allow apps to sd card. Sony has locked it for best performance (so they say). Option is build in to Android.

@Daniel wrote:

Hi @Sl1mBrady

I'm sorry to say that Xperia XA2 does not support the feature of moving applications to a SD card.

You can still transfer media and such to the SD card. And also, some applications does allow data to be stored directly on the SD card, but that is completely up the developers of the applications. 

I'm really sorry to say this, but if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask!

But in my opinion this is up to the user not Sony if we want this feature. 

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

Hi everyone,

In regards to your questions about why this is no longer available, please have a look at the text below.

Google stopped providing the possibility to move apps to an SD card to secure the security and the privacy in Android 6. This feature was removed from Android, but we continued to support it further for some time. However, we decided not to keep our solution to move apps to an SD card for users security and privacy.

I hope that answers your questions!

One time poster
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

Does seem to be a sony error and not something google done. Just tried with a better brand of phone and it was fine. Totally regret buying Sony and will not get another one.