account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

battery failure?

Learner
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

battery failure?

Hi

my phone ran out of juice yesterday but I started it up anyway to get someone's number.

It will now turn on when plugged in but the battery won't go above 0% and it turns off as soon as unplugged.   A couple of times it has gone above 0% including 100% when I left it plugged in overnight, but as soon as unplugged it falls to zero within a couple of minutes and powers off.

I can't beleive I ruined the battery doing this!   The battery had been fine up till then, but thinking about it, it was weird when it ran out so quickly, I had 50%ish and then two hours of no use it was flat, so perhaps the problem was there before I flattened it.   I thought it was because there was no mobile coverage but lots of wifi that my phone could not access, but perhaps the battery just packed up without warning.

I am charging from the wall using the Sony supplied charger.

many thanks in advance for any help.

4 REPLIES 4
Emperor
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

Re: battery failure?

@thatguy2 

I'm sorry to hear that, what if you connect the phone to a wall charger > pres and hold power and volume up or 10 seconds > let it charge for 2 hours > run XC on your computer > follow the steps to repair the phone > connect the phone when prompted, do NOT turn it on.

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Learner
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

I have realised that I am not actually using that much power as the phone would be warm to the touch if it dumped that much power that quickly, so it is either the battery or the battery management system that is failing to store power.

I have never connected this phone to a PC before and find that it is not recognized .   This could be a new fault or pre-existing fault.

If the phone is turned off I get all the way to this screen, but this doesn't work and the XC does not offer alternatives:

sony screen.JPG

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

Hi @thatguy2, if you aren't able to proceed, could you try with a different USB port on your PC or if you have another PC to try and run the software repair on.

It does however sound like it is related to hardware since as soon as you unplug it from the charger, it dies again, even if it was fully charged before.

Let us know how it goes!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Learner
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

As it looked like a hardware problem, I have bought a new battery and swapped it in.   The problem still persists.  

I have managed to get it to talk to my PC but only get as far as this screen:

PC screen.JPG

has really no one else had this problem?