account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

XA1 loses ability to copy and move files within the phone's internal memory after updating to Oreo 8

Rookie
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

XA1 loses ability to copy and move files within the phone's internal memory after updating to Oreo 8

After the software update to Oreo 8.0.0 on June 23, 2018 my XA1 (using Android's built-in app "Files") loses the ability to copy and move files within the phone's internal memory. The dropdown menu still says "Copy to.. Move to..", etc. but the directory dropdown menu no long shows all the available drive/directories except for the source directory (meaning files can only be copied or moved to the same source directory, which as you can see is quite ridiculous). Does anyone have a solution to this problem. Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: XA1 loses ability to copy and move files within the phone's internal memory after updating to Or

@xluu

I'd check the File app permissions first, might be changed somehow with the updates. Find them in Settings -> Apps & notifications -> App info -> Files -> Permissions.

If everything was set correctly and you still can't copy/move files, then try to use another files manager app as a workaround. I suggest the new Google app called Files GO, and it also clears unnecessary clutter from your files.

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

Re: XA1 loses ability to copy and move files within the phone's internal memory after updating to Or

Thank you Quester for the quick respond. I've checked the "Permissions" as directed by you and it doesn't allow me to change it (faint characters indicating it is not responsive to finger tapping). It is showing "No permissions requested". Is there a reason why it doesn't allow me to change it? By the way, I've also noticed that I couldn't save files (e.g. pdf) to any other directories except the "Download" (i.e. only the "Download" directory is shown/available and no other directories were shown).

Pioneer
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

‘Download’ is the default folder, but you should be able to choose another folder from internal storage (either for browsing or for copy/move) if you tap in the three lines icon at the top left and then your phone model (‘G3121’ in my case).

Rookie
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

Hi Jetzu, as I've said in my previous posts I'm not getting any other directories when I tapped the 3-line icon. The only directory that are visible is the default directory called "Download" and nothing else. I've been copying and moving files using this XA1 (model G3123) for a long time so I'm very familiar with the process. This problem of losing the ability to move/copy files to other directories within the internal memory from the default directory "Download" occurs only after the recent Sony's update to Oreo (which I didn't ask for). As my second post indicated, I have also lost the abillity to save files (such as printing to pdf) to any other directories except "Download" because no other directories are visible except the default directory "Download". The # of files are growing and I need to sort them in directories. I hope Sony is working on the fix quickly. I've tried the app Files Go as suggested by previous responder but it is of no use to me since it doesn't do what I want to do (because it allows only transferring of files to/from Google Drive). I dislike of having to install new apps when the built-in one is satisfactory for my need (which makes my experience with unasked Sony's recent Oreo update very unpleasant).

Pioneer
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

Hi again. I'm sorry if I misunderstood you or if I underestimated your skills. It's just that your problem is quite odd, specially because the 'Files' app was not present before Oreo... Anyway, I agree with you about Oreo update and the use ot third party apps, but you can use another file manager to do what you need (e.g. 'Simple File Manager' app) or make a software repair using Xperia Companion to restore your phone as it should be.

Rookie
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

Hi, I am sorry for being a bit testy in previous post (a bit stressed out for not able to organize files). In any case, the current built-in "Files" app might have a different name in previous Android version but the UI is exactly the same (used it so often that I didn't bother to remember its previous name, just its position on the screen). I've decided to use a third party app called "X-plore File Manager" which has a much better UI for improved efficiency than the "Files" app. I'd like to thank everyone for all the suggestions (including Sony even though I have to use a third party app and it has yet to solve the Files app problem).